C++ text adventure tutorials?

Started by
8 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 6 months ago
hi, Im im a noob to C++, been reading up on the basics of C & C++ and would now like to attempt a very basic text adv, if anyone knows any tuts on this or would like to give me some source code to pick through I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Gordon
Advertisement
clicky

All the way at the bottom there is a link to the Zork source.
The only tutorial I've seen that doesn't involve some text-adventure-creator tool is this one. It's in Java, but it shouldn't be too hard to port to C++.

-RC
assuming you finished the book you should be able to make one your self, that is the fun part, why did you learn c++. but if you didnt finish the book, finish it.
http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/GT/GT_Pg1.htm
has three very good tutorials on text adventures
gametutorials.com has a 3 part text adventure tutorial that could help. also check gamedev's book section for some help.
"choices always were a problem for you......" Maynard James Keenan
I'd recommend making it completely on your own. The only way you'll truly learn is by trial and error. Write some code, run it, write some more code, run it. You'll soon have a nice little game. I'd also recommend making up a quick tic tac toe game in C++. Do it your way, not the way a tutorial teaches you. Also, get a nice and simple C++ book to help you out.

Here's something to start you off:

#include <iostream.h>int main(){	cout << "Welcome to gordon7up's game of super-death.";	// More code here	return 0;}

You can go anywhere from that! Good luck!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Best text adventure tutorials. (teaches color console as well)
CLICKY!
-Goten

void TextGame() {
printf("Text games suck.\n");
return;
}
WELLL, if you're going to do it in C++, ignore Rob completely. That just enforces bad practices (no arguments to main, using depreciated (sp) include file, and NO ERROR CATCHING!)

Figure out how to fix that and you're on your way [smile].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement