where to find..?

Started by
12 comments, last by ThUg4LiFe 19 years, 6 months ago
i am not necessarily expecting to find the right people here, i am more interested in gathering information or being pointed in the right direction.. but as this particularly site is about game development, i may have better luck :) okay, basically i want to know.. what skills/knowledge does it take to program modern games? my programming knowledge is alright, but nowhere near this level - and even quite basic compared to some here - but at the same time, i understand the mechanics of programming as i taught myself everything about BASIC from a young age and could write programs, plus taught myself everything i know on other subjects...i also know how to write HTML or at least find the right information form various sources and compile what i need in my own coding to produce a website. and other vast widespread (but not always throrough enough on the particularly needed subjects) knowledge i learnt myself and so on.. i read on a game's website's chat transcipt way back - before it was released someone asked what they would suggest to them as a game designer, to learn to be able to produce games, and i think they said that learning Java would be the best start... now, im not intending on learning ALL the codes, or doing the programming, but i need to know what knowledge would be required to program moderm games.. or maybe more to the point :3D ACTION ADVENTURE: /RPG style games.. and what skills are required in someone to create such a thing can anyone help point me in the right direction? i know those here would have programming skills - but some may shine and excel in a particular area, but not the whole package needed to program entire games of a certain genre.. but i would at least like to know what skills and knowledge someone would require to perform these tasks..?? ============================== P.S. there may actually be people here with interest in this project, but it is no small-scale thing and several people would be required, it is not going to be paid work for such people if our project commences, but a long-term investment and opportunity to individuals who wish to be a productive part of it. we have outstanding design skills, but my programming skill is nowhere near extensive enough - plus we would need an entire team. our email is fishnetproductions@btonnect.com EDIT: if this gets its feet on the ground and gets to take off.. any work done would definitely be contracted and you would have a guaranteed share in profits of this particular project - - - possibly also a eventual paid position in a newly formed company
Advertisement
A little dated, but start here.
from what ive read so far i see that most modern games are written in C or C++

does anyone know what code languages the 3D version of "Grand Theft Auto" games were written in... also the modern version of "Prince Of Persia"

??

cheers
Those games were probably coded in c/c++ and used some sort of scripting language like lua or python. I'm not totally sure on that, but it really doesn't matter. The programming language doesnt affect the look and feel of a game. My suggestion is to start learning c++ and do some simple game projects. If you can't program Tetris or even a game like Mario, you'll have quite the time trying to create something like GTA 3. Also realize that commercial games take millions of dollars to create. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) thinks they can bypass the whole "not having millions of dollars thing" when they first get into game programming, but they can't. Like I said, learn the basics first and you'll be coding cool games in no time. The more you read into learning to make games, the more you'll understand what goes into them.

Best of luck!
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Start with an easier language. The knowledge of the principles of programming are transferrable from language to language. Understanding C++ takes a while, and it can be frustrating dealing with text for so long when you just want to make games.

I recommend Python with PyGame, both free. Other options are just as valid. Invariably, someone will come along and challenge my assertion, saying something like "I started with C++ and blah blah blah *drone*". Based on 11 years experience programming, 9 years with C++ and 4 years as a member of this community, observing many, many beginners, I think that's a crock.

Start with an easier language. It improves your chances.
thanks for the advice and information

i am not assuming i can bypass the "millions of dollars" expense to create a modern game..

its a business i DO intend to create, it may not be able to happen for a long time when we do have more money for equipment and paying for people's talent and skills, but i need to do this research and gain information, and KNOWLEDGE about what is required, to see the bigger picture more clearly than now
further to this, im also intersted to know.. what parts make up how much of the total expense of producting such games?

equipment? personnel (programmers) wages?.....or other particular parts?
I can't really say in a commercial environment, but I can say that with enough charisma, and lots of determination, you could probably produce a pretty decent game for no money at all. There's tons of talented guys here who are cabable of doing it. The trick is to get them to work on your project and stick with it. If you search around on the forums, you'll see solid graphics programmers, musicians with recording studios in their basements, artists up the ying-yang, you name it.
I guess that wasn't the response you were looking for, but at least it probably bumped you topic to the top of the forum again :)
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
well, this does seem like the perfect kind of site to find such talent :)

our talents in this project would be the design of: stories, levels, characters, music, sounds, styles of gameplay, various controls, assisting with (or performing) the 3d computer design (creation) of levels / characters plus animations.. the design of almost all aspects

where we need all the team to work on the project would be for (creating in some cases and) implementing all of these things into the game, which is where the intensive programming comes into it

i just imagine it needing a large team, and it may still not be as good quality as commercial games :( ..but this is where the business side of things must play a part, outside investment would be needed from one source or another to afford to make the game we want to the quality it requires to be a guaranteed success (particularly or possibly by a large game publishing company) - but this would be more likely once there is a 'partial' game producted or in production
Is it something like this what you're looking for?
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement