Generate Cylinder Geometry

Started by
7 comments, last by Runt888 19 years, 6 months ago
I'm trying to find some code that will generate triangle geometry for a cylinder. Something similar to gluCylinder (the source code for gluCylinder would work perfectly). Does anyone know where I can find this? Thanks a lot! Kelly
Advertisement
Off the top of my head:

float angle = 0.0f;float step = TWO_PI / numsteps;float hh = height * 0.5f;for (int i = 0; i < numsteps; i++){    float s = sinf(angle);    float c = cosf(angle);    verts[numverts++].Set(s * radius, c * radius, -hh);    verts[numverts++].Set(s * radius, c * radius, hh);    angle += step;}

numsteps, radius and height are input parameters. numsteps determines the resolution, or level of detail, of the cylinder.

The cylinder is centered at the origin and oriented along the z axis. After construction, it can then be repositioned and oriented using the transformation technique of your choice. Given three axes and a position, it can also be constructed in place with a little more verbose code.

Note that you could use separate x and y radii, and create an ellipsoidal prism if desired.

Triangulation I leave up to you, but if you have trouble with it I can give you that code too.

Note that with some additional coding, you can get automatic level of detail by storing several sets of indices for progressively coarser versions of the cylinder.

Does that help?
you use simple trig to do it,
void DrawCyl(float height){for(float x=0; x<360; x+=10){float radianA=(x/180)*M_PI;float radianB=((x+10)/180)*M_PI;//first trianglevertex( cos(radianA),height/2,sin(radianA) );vertex( cos(radianA),-height/2,sin(radianA) );vertex( cos(radianB),-height/2,sin(radianB) );//next trianglevertex( cos(radianA),height/2,sin(radianA) );vertex( cos(radianB),height/2,sin(radianB) );vertex( cos(radianB),-height/2,sin(radianB) );}}

just a sample off the top of my head
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Thanks for the reply. However, I also need to specify base and top radius. If one of them is 0, then a cone should be generated. Sorry I didn't specify this in the original post (gluCylinder takes in baseRadius, topRadius, height, slices, and stacks; slices are sub-divisions around the z-axis, stacks are sub-divisions along the z-axis). I will see if I can convert the code you gave to work in this fashion. Thanks again for the reply!

Kelly

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the part about using separate x and y radii. I will work on that.
Xero-X2 - thank you as well for the code. I will see if I can make use of it.

Kelly
previously defined vertex[MAX_NUM]
int i = 0;
float radius;
int n = 0;
float sidestep;
sidestep = NUM_SIDES / (2 * PI);
float CYLINDER_HEIGHT;
CYLINDER_HEIGHT = whatever!
while (i < NUM_SIDES)
{
vertex[n].x = sin(i * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n].y = 0;
vertex[n].z = cos(i * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 1].x = sin((i + 1) * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 1].y = 0;
vertex[n + 1].z = cos(i * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 2].x = sin(i * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 2].y = CYLINDER_HEIGHT;
vertex[n + 2].z = cos(i * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 3].x = sin(((i + 1) * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 3].y = 0;
vertex[n + 3].z = cos(i * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 4].x = sin((i + 1) * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 4].y = CYLINDER_HEIGHT;
vertex[n + 4].z = cos((i + 1) * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 5].x = sin(((i + 1) * sidestep) * radius;
vertex[n + 5].y = CYLINDER_HEIGHT;
vertex[n + 5].z = cos(i * sidestep) * radius;
n = n + 5;
i++;
}

Think that should work - I coded this without thinking!

Good Luck!
// DrawCyl(total height, bottom radius, top raidus);void DrawCyl(float height, float bottom, float top){for(float x=0; x<360; x+=10){float radianA=(x/180)*M_PI;float radianB=((x+10)/180)*M_PI;//first triangle vertex( cos(radianA)*top,height/2,sin(radianA)*top );vertex( cos(radianA)*bottom,-height/2,sin(radianA)*bottom );vertex( cos(radianB)*bottom,-height/2,sin(radianB)*bottom );//next trianglevertex( cos(radianA)*top,height/2,sin(radianA)*top );vertex( cos(radianB)*top,height/2,sin(radianB)*top );vertex( cos(radianB)*bottom,-height/2,sin(radianB)*bottom );}}

An alternation of my above code that will meet you new needs.
"I seek knowledge and to help those who also seek it"
Looks like between all our posts you probably have the info you need. For my code, just use a different radius value for the hh and -hh verts to get a different top and bottom radius. For 'stacks', step through the z axis as well as around the perimeter. There are some triangulation details in there you'll have to figure out, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Rather than having a bunch of coincident verts, I would detect radius == 0 as a special case (cone) and construct a circle at one end connected to a point at the other.
Thanks for all the replies. I can figure it out from here. Thanks again!!

Kelly

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement