Annoying problems with quake 3

Started by
15 comments, last by lubby 19 years, 6 months ago
I know this should be in the game modding section, but I NEVER het any answers there, so I thougth I would post it here. I made a custom level for quake 3, and need to make the AAS for the bots. however, on the site I am getting the tutorial from(http://www.planetquake.com/q3radiant/) I need to open a command prompt and type in all these commands to get the AAS made. however, for some reason, the MS-DOS prompt doesnt seem to be working correctly and is giving out errors. My question is that is there any way to create the AAS for the bots in an easier or different way?I am using Q3Radiant as my level editor if it matters.
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
Advertisement
Since you got no replies yet,can't hurt to tey and help.
What OS(windows) are you running?

What are the errors/whats not working,when running from the
command line?
apparently thats the only way then. im using Win xp, and i have to type in commands like *cd..* and it says those thing dont exist. The tutorial is somewhere on the site, sorry I could give an exactl link.
i can see how you got confused. when it says "c:\windows\*cd..*" there should be a space and no *. all it means is that you should route to your c: drive, using the cd command. on xp, you should have :
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator> _/* here, you just use the cd command */C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator> cd c:\ /* and now it will display */C:\ _

all it meant by the "c:\windows" was it was assuming that was your default command directory. as you can see, mine is different, so yours may vary as well. type help to sort through the commands. all the tutorial is telling you to do is to navigate to the desired directory, and execute
-bsp2aas c:\progra~1\quakei~1\baseq3\maps\lethalarea.bsp*

you may need to modify that a little to match your paths.
hope that helped a little.
<edit :: *link removed*
- stormrunner
Thanks! ill try that.
I still have problems. when I type in the "*bspc -bsp2ass" part, it says the command doesnt exist.
that tutorial wasn't well written. however, buried in there is this instruction (which i also missed) :
Quote:
rite exactly what's between the *'s and dont forget all the dots, spaces and signs

so, bearing that in mind, you'd do something like this (assuming you are starting at your c:\ drive). you can navigate to your directory with one statement.
C:\> cd "c:\program files\Quake III Arena\tools\"/* it should now read : */C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\tools\> _/* here, it seems you type  bspc -bsp2aas "c:\progra~1\quakei~1\baseq3\maps\lethalarea.bsp.  you'd type */C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\tools\> bspc -bsp2aas "c:\program files\quake III arena\ *insert map file path here without the * *"

what i'd suggest, when you get to the above part, is that you open the properties menu on your .bsp file (right-click) and type the path as it appears there (by hand), followed by "\" and the filename (don't forget the extension). and make sure both quake III arena and q3radiant are installed properly.
- stormrunner
i'll try everything you said. Thanks!
im almost ready to give up. now it doesnt recognize the c:\ drive, and thinks its a command. heres everything I typed in:

C:\documents and settings\jack>cd C:C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\tools\> bspc -bsp2aas "c:\program files\quake III arena\maps\arena2.bsp

however, I cant get past the second part when I type in the tools drive because of this.
can't you just make a .bat?
it'll be easier than messing with some kind of emulated ms-dos prompt...

and btw, I might be wrong, but you don't need to pass the absolute path to your bsp do you?

just make a text file, and copy/paste these lines inside:

cd "C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\tools\"
bspc -bsp2aas "..\maps\arena2.bsp"

then rename it to .bat and double click on it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement