Sign in to follow this  
SelethD

stupid little randomize()

SelethD    456
I cant believe im having to ask this. How do you use the function 'randomize()' to generate random numbers. I havent used it in soooo long i cant remember. Im using c++ i know it has somthing to do with the time.h header like randomize(gettime()) or somthing like that to seed it with the time value so its 'kinda' a unique seed please anyone know? i searched msdn, and google, but all i get is VisualBasic crap thanks

Boku San    428
I think you mean the function rand(), found in stdlib.h (<cstdlib>).

If you just want one random number, one time, and you don't want it to ever be different (e.g. won't use it in a loop), you should just use rand()%MAXNUMBER+1.

If you want a different value, the most common way (and best IMO) is to use srand() before you call the function. I always use it as srand((unsigned int)time(time_t*)NULL)) before I call rand(), which is why you'll want to include time.h(<ctime>). (I apologize if any of the parentheses aren't matched, I'll edit them if it's called to my attention).

Also, sorry if this is disorganized, and sorry if any of it's untrue/there's a better way, this is how I do it, and this is how I understand it.

EDIT: Hmm...maybe I assumed too much in thinking that you meant to use the rand() function. I've *seen* randomize(), but I thought it was a custom function...my bad.

Still, I won't delete this, it might help somebody, somewhere, somehow. OOH, PANCAKES! *leaves*

SelethD    456
randomize just seeds the random number generator, so you only call it once per run of the app.

then you use RND to get an actual random number

i just wish i could remember what function is called to get the time to seed it with

randomize(<something>);

??? help