A clueless 22 year old

Started by
1 comment, last by Casanova 23 years, 6 months ago
I was thinking of being a graphic artist, but I don''t where to start. I heard you need to be an excellent artist and that it is hard to find a job in that field and you don''t get paid very well. I also heard that you don''t hand draw the pictures, but use the computer. Is that true? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"There is no speed limit in the pursuit of excellence"
Advertisement
Graphic artist do all the drawings on computer in a professional drawing studio (cost = hundreds in not thousands of dollars). To get a decent job, you''ll need good work. People won''t hire you unless you prove to be a worthy asset. About finding a job in the field: what field? game programming, advertisement, etc.

Game programming is probably the easiest to find a job in. Companies are always looking for talented graphic artists.
Graphic Artist is like any other skill based job. You cannot know how good you are/can be until you try ... and pratice / experience always pay off large dividends. Think of it as wanting to be a musician. Nearly anyone with average or better dexterity and decent sense of timing / rhythm can become a drummer, the major deciding factors are how much you WANT to pratice / improve, and whether or not you have the imagination to push the field in any way. If all you want is to get paid for doing graphics work .. all it takes is enough skill to demonstrate the ability to produce and enough perseverence to actually produce output on demand. Actual pure ability or talent really just distinguishes between different levels of artists, it doesn''t take a master to get the job done, but a company seeking to break new ground will find it worth their time / money to invest in one . Best wishes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement