Where can i get Visual C++ 6

Started by
9 comments, last by jacksaccountongamedev 19 years, 6 months ago
Im looking for a possibly free version of Microsoft Visual C++ 6 I would rather have that than Visual C++ 2003. So if you could help me out that would be great!
------Signature------Inspiring young coder/programmer!
Advertisement
Negative. If you want the IDE, you're gonna have to shell out the dollar-sign-dollar-sign-dollar-signs. The compiler is free, but...is that really what you pay for? I'd stick with 2003...isn't that a more recent version than 6?
Things change.
Ok I actually have found a free version... Its the Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta. Any one ever use this before.. all i know is its free. if any one has used it is there any drawbacks to it besides it being beta?
heres the link: http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/
------Signature------Inspiring young coder/programmer!
Absolutely no drawbacks. You should take it now, and you should put it somewhere safe. Except that it's a beta...but, you know, it's freaking MICROSOFT. You really can't go wrong with it, it seems, and you should take it now and screw the innocent.

EDIT: Also, above link clickified: clickified
Things change.
If your looking for MVC++ 6.0 for a reason then disregard. But if you just need a free compiler to work with, I'd recommend Dev-C++. I use MVC++ 6 most the time but just found out about Dev-C++ and its now my 2nd favorite compiler. Its can be found free at-> http://www.bloodshed.net/
LJRlordjonray@gmail.comhttp://www.lordjonray.com/gamedev
Quote:Original post by whitin
Im looking for a possibly free version of Microsoft Visual C++ 6 I would rather have that than Visual C++ 2003. So if you could help me out that would be great!

If you're a student your school might be a member of the MSDN Academic Alliance. If so you'll most likely be able to download it free or at very reduced cost. Microsoft also has development tools intended for hobby, indie, and student programmers that are avaliable at reduced cost.
Patrick
i'm fairly sure that i read in the 2005 beta that it is just for testing purpose & that commercial developement is not allowed (i'm not sure if it was only commercial or any redistribution) so if u're planning to redistribute binaries done with it check out the EULA after download
Try out MinGW Developer Studio or Visual-MinGW. They're both free IDEs to go with MinGW (win32 port of gcc, also free), and they're very similar to MSVC6.

-RC
warez!!! get it on kazaa! rar!
Software Pirating is a bad suggestion.

I highly recommend downloading the latest version of Dev-C++ http://www.bloodshed.net/ unless you know a specific feature that Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 provides that you need.

As far as C++ IDEs, it really is the best one I've ever found. Here's my take on the various compilers. (my rankings are from 1 to 10)

Microsoft Visual C++:
Price: $100+ (Actual price depends on the features and licensing options you need)
Learning Curve: Steep (10)
Features: Professional Advanced (10)
Ease of Setup: Somewhat Easy (7)

RHIDE (w/ DJGPP as the compiler):
Price: Free
Learning Curve: Hard (8)
Features: Intermediate (5)
Ease of Setup: Somewhat Difficult (3)

Dev-C++ (w/ MinGW or GNU compiler)
Price: Free
Learning Curve: Easy (3)
Features: Novice Advanced (8)
Ease of Setup: Very Easy (10)

I think what's most important to note is that if you're not an enterprise-level developer, you probably don't need all the advanced features available in Visual Studio. The advanced features Visual Studio provides are mostly geared towards enterprise level developers. In most cases, if you need all the features of Visual Studio, it's more than likely that the multi-national corporation you're working for will provide it to you on your dual-monitor, dual-processor workstation.

Specifically you were asking about Microsoft Visual C++ 6. You might prefer that version, but Microsoft has stopped selling it and mostly stopped supporting it. If you really want Microsoft's Visual C++, you're better off getting the latest supported version. There were numerous bugs and standards compliance issues with previous versions. So even if you manage to get it, there will be coding issues, things that are part of the C++ standard that you just aren't allowed to do with the compiler.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement