Opengl, DirectX and/or none!

Started by
6 comments, last by BiGF00T 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello! I'm creating a game and I don't use OpenGl , DirectX or any other engine. I'm drawing the images on canvas. I want to know what you think about that kind of game development? (the graphic can be realy nice..) Have a nice day David
Advertisement
back like in the old DOS dayz ?
Why not :)
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
what do you mean by drawing the images on canvas? How do you do it? I suppose you'll still have to use the sprite concept anyway!!
To clarify, direct x and openGL are NOT "engines", they are API's... when you create a window in your program, you are using an api... which on a windows platform... generally means the win32 API. Im sensing that you dont like these because they do too much for you... they dont... trust me... tis hard as ever to make a good game... all they really do is let you HARDWARE ACCELLERATE (sp) your graphics routines... basically, all direct 3d and openGL do... is send the data over to the hardware to be processed... this is MUCH FASTER than doing your own stuff... which is why software renderer's are so slow (relatively speaking) but yeah... pick up a graphics api... i suggest openGL... i tried directx at first... and then some openGL, and i ended up prefering openGL, i suggest you try both first... but at least for the first half of your learning experience, i think openGL will suit you better

i rambled, and went off topic kinda... anywho

hope that helps

-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I'm delphi programmer!
I'm not using image and image and another image. I'm using one main image and one tbitmap image. I open one image in tbitamp and edit it (with codes) and then draw that bitamp on main canvas.
Is here anyone that use DElphiGl - Opengl for delphi or DelphiX..
another thing is can we program a 2D game using OpenGL, i.e can we use normal sprites in OpenGL as we do in DX and how?
If you use GDI for games (which is, I suspect what Delphi's Canvas uses), you will discover that it has very poor performance. This is because it has to make a lot of unnecessary function calls to do stuff like SelectObject().

Using a direct rendering library like Allegro will give you a relatively high performance software rendering system which can render to off-screen buffers then blit in.

Using DX or OpenGL will give you the ability to use hardware acceleration, which is generally extremely beneficial to performance (although is fairly complex).

You CAN do 2d graphics with Direct3d or OpenGL. But the video card still considers them 3d really - they just happen to be aligned with the screen and use a non-perspective projection. Generally any feature can be turned on or off as required.

Drawing sprites with OpenGL generally involves EITHER drawing quads with a (possibly transparent) texture, or using (one of the) point sprite extensions, which might help slightly if you have a huge number of them (less geometry hits the pipeline apparently)

Mark
i used to use delphix some years ago but now i'm using c/c++ with ogl or dx. i think i forgot nearly everything about delphi. and i dont think it would be a good idea to modify the bmp directly. i'm sure it will be way slower than dx or ogl. why would you do something like that? i mean ok, back in dos days with mode 13h we had to put every single pixel into (was it a000-xxxx?) the gfx mem. then wait for the verticle retrace and do it again. why would you want to do something which can be done 29384723947 times better using an api?
is it just to prove that you can do it or is it because you think you can do it better than ogl or dx (youre wrong then) or are you a masochist who likes to torture himself with useless (unnecessary difficult) coding?
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement