Win32 worthwhile?

Started by
13 comments, last by baraka 19 years, 6 months ago
I just wanted to know whether it's worthwhile starting programming with Win32? Do they still use it? Also, can use DX and OpenGL with Win32?
Advertisement
Apparently, in future windows op's win32 will not be supported. So you might as well get a head start on C# methods.
I think no. Once you start Java programming (or even C# as posted?), you'll never want to go back to doing GUIs with win32 api.

edit: yeah, if you want to do dx or ogl in c++ at the lowest (practical) level in c++, then you have to know a little bit of win32, but that's just creating a window and a message handler.
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
You CAN use DX and OpenGL with win32. The Win32 APIs are actually currently essential in order to do pretty much anything on Windows.

That is, unless you use some wrapper library which hides them all from you, which is generally an extremely good idea.

Something like SDL, we know really has win32, DirectX and OpenGL underneath, but we just use it and ignore all that.

For example, NeHe's tutorials all contain a large amount of win32 code - it isn't really necessary, it's just boiler-plate in order to get the programs to work - the real work is done in OpenGL.

I can't see MS taking away win32 any time soon (despite with other posters suggest)

Mark
it'll be in your best interest to learn C# and XML, because that is what WinForms and Avalon use, respectively, for the next generation OS.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I thought all the new tech was build on top of the Win32 API.
I agree with you I don't think win32 is going anywhere soon. Microsoft would have to completely restructure directx and that would not be simple. Simple is to leave it the way it is. So thats what they'll do.
Yours Truely,
-Goten
Wont it HAVE to change to something like "win64" when longhorn arrives?
By worthwhile do you mean "professional" or for "personal" use. In the former I would imagine knowing Win32 would be almost vital to getting a non-game programming job. Something like 90% of people use Windows and I don't see this changing anytime soon. Even with Longhorn coming out, many people won't upgrade. At least not right away.

If you meant the latter then it's really all based on personal preference. There are alternatives to Win32 such as Qt and GTK+ which are not only easier to use, but cross-platform.

Personally, I think everyone should at least know how to do the basics, which are explained very well in The Forger's tutorial. Using the win api is not hard and, IMHO, is well worth it. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even use windows ;)
The Win32 libraries are going to be obsolete with the new Windows Operating systems because, to put it simply, Microsoft programmers are sick of having to make everything backwards compatible, which also includes all the problems of the previous code. A good majority of the viruses lately have preyed on code that hasn't been changed since 9x and NT 4 days.

So, instead of giving Win32 programmers an easy ride, they rewriting the libraries from scratch.

Atleast, that is my understanding. Feel free to correct me if anyone spots and mistake.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----Version: 3.12GCS/M/S d->+(++) s+: a19? C++++ UL++ P+++ L+ !E W+++ N+ o++ K? w!O M-- V? !PS PE Y+ PGP t++ 5+++ X R tv+> b+(++)>+++ DI+++>+++++ D++G e>++++ h! r y?------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement