Should I use windows or linux ?

Started by
12 comments, last by liquidAir 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello,I want to ask some questions about platform.If I make a game,which platform can make a good game? Windows or Linux ?
Advertisement
Java -> both.
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
Try to keep your game platform independent. This usually leads to a better design.

You don't necessarily have to use Jave, you might use C++ as well. Look around for platform independent libraries, like fmod.
Quote:Original post by nmi
Try to keep your game platform independent. This usually leads to a better design.

You don't necessarily have to use Jave, you might use C++ as well. Look around for platform independent libraries, like fmod.

I agree with nmi
As a beginner you should stay away from linux.

But it wouldnt help to use platform independant libaries like opengl and openal or fmod.

I suggest you stay away from linux because as a beginner it will be much easier to find information for programing under windows and the vast majority of the code you will encounter will be written for windows specificaly.
Definitely use platform independant libraries, it will increase the number of people able to run your program.
hey don't forget about us "mac" users using allegro and sdl!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I think it's easier to develop software on GNU/Linux because it has all the needed development tools and libraries readily installed but on Windows you have to get everything (compilers, libraries etc.) yourself (which takes time..).

I am developing my game on GNU/Linux and I'm using SDL and Lua, so the game is easy to compile on almost any platform without changing a line of code. When I was doing a windows port I had much more trouble getting the compilers and header files on Windows.

But of course it's best to use the OS you know better and if you're a total computer newbie, it might be easier to use Windows. Just be sure to write platform independent code: use libraries such as SDL and OpenGL and use your programming language's standard libraries.
Ad: Ancamnia
wow, this thread is still no flamewar???!? what happened to all the troll kiddies? i agree with everyone else and say: use what you prefer... definately have a look at linux and make your system dual boot. choose what you like best, get a ide/compiler for that system and then develop platform independant games.
i dont think theres a "better" os for developing games... every os has its advantages and its up to you to choose. try everything and dont listen to the "linux/windows is teh best evar, dont use the other os because its teh evil!!1!one!!1".
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
When I code something, I try to make as much platform independent as possible. For me, it's a good habit to do so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement