Sign in to follow this  
Boris Karloff

StgCreateStorageEx/StgCreateDocFile

Boris Karloff    484
I'm tinkering with structured storage (or rather, compound files) a bit, and I notice the following in the MSDN documentation when looking at StgCreateDocFile:
Quote:
All Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows XP applications should use the new function, StgCreateStorageEx, instead of StgCreateDocfile, to take advantage of enhanced Structured Storage features. This function, StgCreateDocfile, still exists for compatibility with Windows 2000 and earlier applications.
Indeed, the documentation for StgCreateStorageEx mentions the following:
Quote:
Applications written for Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP must use StgCreateStorageEx rather than StgCreateDocfile to take advantage of the enhanced Windows 2000 and Windows XP Structured Storage features. [...] StgCreateStorageEx is a superset of the StgCreateDocfile function, and should be used by new code.
So, I'm wondering. If I'm to use StGCreateStorageEx (and the documentation says I should), will my application run on, say, Windows 98, only without the enhanced SS features, or will it not run at all on a pre-Windows 2000 system?

doynax    850
Quote:
MSDN
Requirements
Client: Requires Windows XP or Windows 2000 Professional.
Server: Requires Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server.

Quote:
Boris Karloff
So, I'm wondering. If I'm to use StGCreateStorageEx (and the documentation says I should), will my application run on, say, Windows 98, only without the enhanced SS features, or will it not run at all on a pre-Windows 2000 system?
Sorry.. It won't run at all.
You'll eighter have to use the old method or query support for the extended functionality through GetProcAddress.