[.net] Possible to make M$ C# 2003 use .NET 2.0 beta?

Started by
7 comments, last by DrGUI 19 years, 5 months ago
Is it possible to make Microsoft Visual C# 2003 compile using the .NET framework 2.0 beta? If so - how? Otherwise I will have to turn back to SharpDevelop - still no debugger innit though.
Advertisement
I *think* you change the environment variables FrameworkVersion and FrameworkSDKDir, etc to point to the 2.0 beta versions of the framework. There may be a few other variables to set. Note though that this doesn't mean that it will support all the C# 2.0 features, or .NET 2.0 features, because you're using an old compiler. If you want to do that, I'd advise using the version of csc that comes with the .NET 2.0 beta framework (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.40607)
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Quote:Original post by DrGUI
Otherwise I will have to turn back to SharpDevelop - still no debugger innit though.

You can always use the debugger that ships with the SDK. It's pretty much the same debugger as in VS.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I want to be able to use the new compiler from within VS really. If I just wanted to use the new framework, I could just import the solution into #Develop before I compiled the final version.
Thanks a lot for the replies!
I'm not so sure they'll be compatible. The .NET 2.0 framework should include the new changes and additions to C# (which is going to be v.2.0 with studio 2005). Your best bet would be to check the msdn online.
oh hai
It is probably like the 2002 and 2003 release of VS. The compilers are not forward compatible but can compile backward only.

As you are using the beta version of the framework, why not use the beta IDE's ie the Express editions (Which are free to DL and Use) or the VS 2005 beta.
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
YOu can probably replace the compiler in the VS 2003 directories (csc and maybe a few other files), located in the .NET 2.0 beta directory. Backup the old ones first of course. There are probably a bunch of files to replace. AFAIK the syntax of C# command line didn't change, so it should work OK. I'm not sure about the debugger with C#. C++ is my speciality. But, as other's have said, you can always use the express versions of the IDE.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
You could always manually compile with the command line compiler that comes with .NET
Thanks, all. I will try and get VS 2005 Beta, but now it isn't terribly long 'till it expires is it? <- rhetorical question.
Will the 2006 beta be out soon after?
What changes do they actually make? Is it just intellisense and linkages?

In C# I heard of this system that essentially profiles your code, then rearrages if statements and the like, what normal compilation cannot do. Is this going to be implemented in a future version of VS?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement