Sign in to follow this  
dan1088352

sdl tutorials

Feidias    92
The best "documents" I have seen are actually the code examples in the SDL library package. They really beat Cone3D's "hey, let's OOP everthing" -examples. I'd like to see more detailed articles about the event handler - how it really works and how to use it correctly. Everything else in SDL is quite simple.
PnP's tutorials are just too simple. It's all in the SDL docs already.

PnP Bios    494
Simple, as in understandable?
They are API tutorials, not game development tutorials. And yes, they are basicly rewrites of the provided documentation. I make no appology for it.

But, most people can't simply dive straight in to the documentation. I had to learn the basics from Cone3D.

Feidias    92
Quote:
Original post by PnP Bios
Simple, as in understandable?

Simple, as in simple:)
I have used SDL documentation mostly, but it doesn't cover some tricky situations in bigger programs using more than just simple "wait for keypress" -event loop.

Rhaal    754
Quote:
Original post by aaroncox1234
I'm gonna have to throw my vote to PnP Bios. I've even ripped stuff out of his site for my tutorials (did I type that out loud?).

Your tutorials are great, and to the original poster I recommend them over Cone3D. Cone3D will give you problems because they don't seem well thought out.

I like the approach you take anyways. You show the student right up front that they will learn to make a game shell, and then you take us through 3 games with it. It's what I've been looking for and I would have purchased this stuff in a book!

Btw, do you go into sound on those? If not I'll check out PnP Bios' site.

herocks    100
PnP Bios, what happened to your tutorials?
did you move them or something cause i can't get to the site when i click on the link in your sig....
Btw, http://lazyfooproductions.com/index.php is my personal favorite.

slymr    193
Quote:
Original post by Servant of the Lord
I second Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials.

Third. I liked this one a lot. It taught me about SDL. It shows you how to set up SDL ( which helped back when I did not know how to set up libraries ). It is very clear and goes to many areas including SDL OpenGL combination.

EDIT: fixed my post.

[Edited by - slymr on December 21, 2006 7:59:02 PM]

Lazy Foo    1113
Quote:
Original post by slymr
It is very clear ( in most parts ) and goes to many areas including SDL OpenGL combination.

and which parts aren't clear?

Really, I have plenty of free time these next two weeks and now is the best time to make any corrections/enhancements.

slymr    193
Quote:
Original post by Lazy Foo
Quote:
Original post by slymr
It is very clear ( in most parts ) and goes to many areas including SDL OpenGL combination.

and which parts aren't clear?

Really, I have plenty of free time these next two weeks and now is the best time to make any corrections/enhancements.

My fault.

I re-went through you tutorials and realized you added many articles since I learned from them. So I take back that it is not clear. I also looked over you finalizing your web site and I agree with them. I would recommend an article about how to make a game. Like a simple game, pong/tetris type, and you would plan it and program it. ( I found I ran into this problem after going through your tutorials.