Problem with starting Apache on Gentoo

Started by
9 comments, last by Q-Parser 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I have a problem with Apache. I am not able to get it to work. I emerged Apache and wanted to start it with
/etc/init.d/apache2 start
and the output was * Apache2 has detected a syntax error in your configuration files: /sbin/runscript.sh: line 44: /usr/sbin/apache2: No such file or directory I wanted to edit that script but I couldn't find the mistake there. Could anybody help me with this? I even tried to re-emerged the package but it didn't help. Thanks
Advertisement
It would seem /usr/sbin/apache2 doesn't exist, which is rather odd.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Quote:Original post by smart_idiot
It would seem /usr/sbin/apache2 doesn't exist, which is rather odd.

Actually, /usr/sbin/apache2 doesn't exist! I don't know why. I wonder where it might have been placed, if ever. Is there another possible path where it could be located?
On my system, /usr/sbin/apache2 exists. Which version of apache are you using - or more specifically, which version of the apache ebuild?
This is weird. It seems like I have no apache installed at all! I'm going to emerge the newest apache (apache-2.0.52) and I'll see if the problem persists. But how can I run "/etc/init.d/apache2 start" when there's no apache? Or is it independent of what is installed or not? I'm confused now.
You should ask in the Gentoo forums; you'll probably get a better response there. All I can say is "works for me".

AFAIK /etc/init.d/apache2 is pulled in by the apache ebuild - so I haven't a clue what the problem is, unless your portage is borked.
i don't have the solution (thus sorry for bothering you), I've got an opinion (and maybe advice):

- remove gentoo, install eg. Slackware and compile all by own... it's much better as gentoo automagic installations, which will screw things...

regards,
m.
Quote:Original post by mx
i don't have the solution (thus sorry for bothering you), I've got an opinion (and maybe advice):

You were right, it isn't the solution!

I have re-emerged apache all over and I've encountered another trouble, and I don't know what it is. When I try to start apache2 I get this:
* Starting apache2...apache2: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName                         [ !! ]

I finally found out where the problem was. I had to add line "127.0.0.1 locahost" to /etc/hosts. It works fine now. Thanks for suggestions, nevertheless.
I think you're supposed to edit /etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf and set ServerName to something.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement