Java vs. Flash for Online Games

Started by
12 comments, last by johnhattan 19 years, 6 months ago
If I want to create an online game, which is the better choice: Java or Macromedia Flash? What are the pros and cons of each?
Advertisement
It all depends on what u need done. Flash can work pretty nicely with XMLSocket for online connections but you are limited to 2d unless you want to slow down someone's computer. Java is always faster at drawing graphics than Flash is since Flash uses vector graphix which at great scale can slow down almost any PC.

If you want to save time on coding and animation and want to concentrate on game code and server code use flash. But if you want to have a really nice graphics rendering engine and control ur animations with ur own code use java.
I have neurons in my butt!!!
Flash can be hacked like a fish, cheaters alert!
I'm currently making a full-scale game in flash for a major museum. It's got plenty of functionality if you know how to use it. Possibly fewer problems when running cross-browser, too.

I will say that even though you don't create 3D objects (although you can always export from Maya), you can create the appearance of 3D objects, as we're doing. It's not too hard, but you have to have a decent eye for perspective or it won't work.

The up-side of vector graphics is that you can resize the window/game however you want and won't lose any quality. If you're bogging down peoples' computers, just add one of the high/medium/low quality toggles in the options screen.

Let us know what kind of game... maybe we could be more helpful.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Like God Avater said tell us what you kind of game you are making. I feel that flash is good for those 2D animated games mostly found on the internet although if what you meant by online game is mulitplayer i would suggest java. You can make much more complex cames with java. I hope that helped.
I did not mean multiplayer. Is Runescape in Java? From what I hear, it is a very large-scale game. That would be an interesting sort of game to create.
it would but you might need a team (that is deffinatly not a one man project) i know runescape uses linux but as far as what language i think its a well gaurded secret.
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
When it starts up, I see a coffee symbol with a grey backscreen. What does that mean? Any clues?
Quote:Original post by CodeTitan
When it starts up, I see a coffee symbol with a grey backscreen. What does that mean? Any clues?

that means it was done in java.
Quote:Original post by raptorstrike
it would but you might need a team (that is deffinatly not a one man project) i know runescape uses linux but as far as what language i think its a well gaurded secret.

The runescape client is written in java. The server may run on linux (I don't know) and can be written in pretty much any language.
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement