• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NetCoaster

Network Programming.

This topic is 5050 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My IP adddress is a private (local?) number "192.168.**.***". And I want to be able to host multiplayer games. How can I make it so that others can connect? (I'm living in a hotel where the interent is shared amongst everyone.)

Advertisement
To do this you'd have to have port forwarding setup on whatever router is doing NAT at the hotel so any requests to the game server port get forwarded to your computer. To do this you'll have to ask the network admin very very nicely [smile]

Quote:
Original post by NetCoaster
My IP adddress is a private (local?) number "192.168.**.***".

And I want to be able to host multiplayer games.

How can I make it so that others can connect?

(I'm living in a hotel where the interent is shared amongst everyone.)

You should probably be able to allow other on the same subnet (192.168.*) to be able to connect, but if you want people outside to connect, you'll probably be SOL, unless you have access to the Hotel's routers so you can open up a forwarding port to your computer...

But erm... if I need to do that... how am I able to play this MMORPG called Tibia.

And how am I able to read this forum?

(Kinda lost)

Quote:
how am I able to play this MMORPG called Tibia.

You are able to connect to other servers (allowing you to join games or view a web site), however a computer cannot connect to you unless you use that port forwarding thing mentioned above.

Is there no way around it?

I don't have access to my Hotels' routers, and I dare not ask, since 'Server Software' is strictly against the rules (I really don't feel like explaining to them that Multiplayer games take up almost no bandwidth).

pWn3d... *grin*

forwarding is the only way... it's rather simple if you think about it. if somebody connects from outside it arrives at the router first... where shall he send to request? => forwarding.

Quote:
Original post by Coder
Moved to "Multiplayer and Network Programming".

You just reduced the number of views this post gets per day by about 98%.

Thanks alot.

Quote:
Original post by NetCoaster
Is there no way around it?

Well, it's not necessarily impossible. But there's no easy solution eighter.
You could set up an external server (i.e. a computer with a public ip or port forwarding) as an introducer and use NAT punch-through.
It might also be possible to setup an ip-tunnel with the other players.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!