Shader / RenderMonkey Problem

Started by
15 comments, last by Paul7 19 years, 6 months ago
Ive created a shader in render monkey for per pixel lighting and bump mapping. It works fine. I then appied it to my terrain in my directX program making a few alterations to get it to work properly. This worked fine the first time I used it. Later on in the day having turned off my computer I came back to programming my terrain and found that it no longer worked! Closeup I then found that if I run the original shader in rendermonkey (the version before making alteration to it to get it working in directX prog) and then run my terrain engine it works fine again. If I restart my computer it also continues to work until I shutdown my computer completely. This problem didnt occur when I just had the per pixel lighting with no bump mapping so I`m guessing its something related to that. This seems real strange to me. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? thanks.
Advertisement
the first screen shot looks really nice :)

tried updating your drivers?
btw, what hardware and OS are you running etc.

Cheers,
Danu
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Thanks,

Running XP with an ATI 9800 pro. Had Catalyst 4.8 on just updated to 4.10 but made no difference.
Something to do with the card's internal state, most likely.

Does DX actually guarantee the hardware to be in a certain state after device creation? I dont think it does....

Make sure of *every* renderstate that your shader requires to work correctly, and ensure that your app is setting them all.

The result (when it works) looks very impressive btw :D.
die or be died...i think
Just found that running the catalyst control center that comes with catalyst 4.10 drivers also makes my prog work correctly so both these must do something that my prog isnt, will look into the renderstates.

If seeing some of my code mite help to solve the problem let me know and I`ll post it.

Thanks again.
right i`m not really too sure on what renderstates I should be setting? the only one that I am setting at the moment is:

gDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ZENABLE, TRUE);

Should I be setting some others also?

Ive been trying to find other programs that make my program work that I have the source code for so I can make comparisons. Unfortunatly I havnt found any yet but while I was doing so I ran a fur shader demo I have and that resulted in my terrain giving me different effects.

Could it somehow be something to do with the tangents I am passing to my shader. I dont see how this could be stored from other programs but its all I can think of being a problem. I wasnt exactly sure on how to calculate them and pass them as part of my fvf.

At the moment I am calculating my tangents by just taking the cross product between the vertex normal and a specified vector that the normal couldnt possibly be (0.0 0.0 1.0). Not sure if this is the right way to do it?

My fvf is as follows:

struct Vertex_pos_norm{	D3DXVECTOR3 position; // Vertex position    D3DXVECTOR3 normal;	D3DXVECTOR2 UV;	D3DXVECTOR3 tangent;};#define D3DFVF_VERTEX_POS_NORM (D3DFVF_XYZ | D3DFVF_NORMAL| D3DFVF_TEX1| D3DFVF_XYZ)

I`m not really sure on the what to use for the tangent in the definition. At the moment I am using D3DFVF_XYZ. As there isnt a D3DFVF_TANGENT I didnt no which to use?

Thanks.
Tried downloading the latest Rendermonkey? it fixes alot of bugs.

If you have exported the project as an fx file then there might be some name clashes. Check through the fx file to make sure there are no name clashes ( since it worked before shutting down then it probably isn't this problem... but then it might be )

Try checking on the "Render state" flag on your RenderMonkey IDE project and take note of the "Value" and "Incoming" state changes, then put them on your effect file manually (assuming that you did export it as fx file.

By looking at the close up picture you posted, im guessing that its not using the textures correctly. You can actually see the outline of some of the triangles. Hope this helps pointing to a solution
I've had the exact same problem with rendermonkey. I remember fixing it, but I barely remember how. I believe it was due to the stream mapping and the input parameters (within the program), whereas they differ in any way, such as a bad index ID. IIRC, the artifacts would also show up even if not using a texture.

I never tested the shaders out in any other app to see what happens, only within rendermonkey.
Its not actually a problem within rendermonkey its just when I use it in my own prog.

Heres a copy of my code if it can help anyone solve this problem:

my .fx shader file
float4x4 matWorldViewProjection;float4x4 matWorld;float4 vecLightDir;float4 vecEye; texture base_Tex;texture base_Tex_bump;texture Layer1_Tex;texture Layer1_Tex_bump;texture Layer2_Tex;sampler Basetexture = sampler_state{   Texture = (base_Tex);   MIPFILTER = LINEAR;   MINFILTER = LINEAR;   MAGFILTER = LINEAR;};sampler Basetexture_bump = sampler_state{   Texture = (base_Tex_bump);   MIPFILTER = LINEAR;   MINFILTER = LINEAR;   MAGFILTER = LINEAR;};sampler Layer1texture = sampler_state{   Texture = (Layer1_Tex);   MIPFILTER = LINEAR;   MINFILTER = LINEAR;   MAGFILTER = LINEAR;};sampler Layer1texture_bump = sampler_state{   Texture = (Layer1_Tex_bump);   MIPFILTER = LINEAR;   MINFILTER = LINEAR;   MAGFILTER = LINEAR;};sampler Layer2texture = sampler_state{   Texture = (Layer2_Tex);   MIPFILTER = LINEAR;   MINFILTER = LINEAR;   MAGFILTER = LINEAR;};struct VS_OUTPUT {   float4 Pos:     POSITION;   float3 Light : TEXCOORD0;   float3 View : TEXCOORD1;   float2 Tex : TEXCOORD2;};VS_OUTPUT VertexShader_terrain( float4 inPos: POSITION, float3 Normal : NORMAL,  float2 inTex: TEXCOORD,  float3 Tangent : TANGENT ){   VS_OUTPUT Out = (VS_OUTPUT)0;   Out.Pos = mul(inPos, matWorldViewProjection);      float3x3 worldToTangentSpace;   worldToTangentSpace[0] = mul(Tangent, matWorld);   worldToTangentSpace[1] = mul(cross(Tangent, Normal), matWorld);   worldToTangentSpace[2] = mul(Normal, matWorld);      Out.Light = mul(worldToTangentSpace, vecLightDir);   float3 PosWorld = mul(inPos, matWorld);    Out.View =  vecEye - PosWorld;         // V   Out.Tex = inTex;       return Out;}float4 PixelShader_terrain(float3 Light: TEXCOORD0,         float3 View : TEXCOORD1, float2 Tex : TEXCOORD2) : COLOR{  float base_tile_factor = 10.0;  float layer1_tile_factor = 20.0;    float4 base = tex2D( Basetexture, Tex * base_tile_factor);  float4 layer1_mask = tex2D( Layer1texture, Tex);  float4 layer1_tile = tex2D( Layer1texture, Tex*layer1_tile_factor);  float4 layer2 = tex2D( Layer2texture, Tex);    float4 colour = lerp(base, layer1_tile, layer1_mask.a);  //colour = lerp(colour, layer2, layer2.a);   float3 bumpNormal_base = 2 * (tex2D(Basetexture_bump, Tex * base_tile_factor) - 0.5); // bump map  float3 bumpNormal_layer1 = 2 * (tex2D(Layer1texture_bump, Tex * layer1_tile_factor) - 0.5); // bump map  float3 bumpNormal = lerp(bumpNormal_base, bumpNormal_layer1, layer1_mask.a);    float4 ambient = {0.2, 0.2, 0.2, 1.0};  float3 LightDir = normalize(Light);  float3 ViewDir = normalize(View);   float4 diff = saturate(dot(bumpNormal, LightDir)); // diffuse comp.  // compute self-shadowing term  float shadow = saturate(4* diff);  float3 Reflect = normalize(2 * diff * bumpNormal - LightDir); // R  //float4 specular = 0;//pow(saturate(dot(Reflect, ViewDir)), 100); // R.V^n   float4 specular = min(pow(saturate(dot(Reflect, ViewDir)), 100), colour.r);   return ambient * colour + shadow * (colour * diff + specular); }technique Effect_terrain{   pass Pass_0   {      VertexShader = compile vs_2_0 VertexShader_terrain();      PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 PixelShader_terrain();   }}

DirectX initialiasation code:
if( NULL == ( gD3dObject=Direct3DCreate9(D3D_SDK_VERSION) ) )        return E_FAIL;D3DDISPLAYMODE d3ddm;if( FAILED( gD3dObject->GetAdapterDisplayMode( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, &d3ddm ) ) )        return E_FAIL;D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp; ZeroMemory( &d3dpp, sizeof(d3dpp) );d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE;d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_UNKNOWN;d3dpp.EnableAutoDepthStencil = TRUE;d3dpp.AutoDepthStencilFormat = D3DFMT_D24S8;if( FAILED( gD3dObject->CreateDevice( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd, D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &d3dpp, &gDevice ) ) ){    return E_FAIL;}gDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ZENABLE, TRUE);

Shader setup:
Initialise(){	if (FAILED(hr=D3DXCreateEffectFromFile(gDevice,"specular_lighting.fx",NULL,NULL,0,NULL,&m_pEffect,NULL)))	{		return hr;	}	if( FAILED( D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( gDevice, "rock.png", &m_basetexture ) ) )    {		return E_FAIL;    }	if( FAILED( D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( gDevice, "rock_bump.png", &m_basetexture_bump ) ) )    {		return E_FAIL;    }	if( FAILED( D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( gDevice, "layer1.tga", &m_layer1texture ) ) )    {		return E_FAIL;    }	if( FAILED( D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( gDevice, "layer2.tga", &m_layer2texture ) ) )    {		return E_FAIL;    }	if( FAILED( D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( gDevice, "layer1_bump.tga", &m_layer1texture_bump ) ) )    {		return E_FAIL;    }	return TRUE;}Render(D3DXVECTOR3 CamPos){	D3DXMATRIXA16 matWorld, matView, matProjection, matWVP;	gDevice->GetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD,&matWorld);    gDevice->GetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW,&matView);    gDevice->GetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION,&matProjection);	D3DXVECTOR4 View;	View.x = CamPos.x;	View.y = CamPos.y;	View.z = CamPos.z;	View.w = 1.0;	matWVP = matWorld * matView * matProjection;	D3DXVECTOR4 Lightvec;	Lightvec.x = 0.0; Lightvec.y = 0.5;  Lightvec.z = -0.5;  Lightvec.w = 1.0; 	m_pEffect->SetMatrix("matWorldViewProjection", &matWVP);	m_pEffect->SetMatrix("matWorld", &matWorld);	m_pEffect->SetVector("vecLightDir", &Lightvec);	m_pEffect->SetVector("vecEye", &View);	m_pEffect->SetTexture( "base_Tex", m_basetexture );	m_pEffect->SetTexture( "base_Tex_bump", m_basetexture_bump );	m_pEffect->SetTexture( "Layer1_Tex", m_layer1texture );	m_pEffect->SetTexture( "Layer2_Tex", m_layer2texture );	m_pEffect->SetTexture( "Layer1_Tex_bump", m_layer1texture_bump );	m_pEffect->SetTechnique( m_pEffect->GetTechniqueByName("Effect_terrain"));	gDevice->SetStreamSource( 0, gVB, 0,  sizeof(Vertex_pos_norm));	gDevice->SetFVF(D3DFVF_VERTEX_POS_NORM);	gDevice->SetIndices( gIB);	UINT iPass, cPasses;	m_pEffect->Begin(&cPasses, 0);	for (iPass = 0; iPass < cPasses; iPass++)	{		m_pEffect->BeginPass(iPass);				gDevice->DrawIndexedPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST,0,0,num_vert,0, num_tris);		m_pEffect->EndPass();	}	 m_pEffect->End();}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement