VB once again

Started by
4 comments, last by DaTroof 19 years, 6 months ago
Whats the standard way to compile in VB 6.0?? Is it Run _ Start with full compile?? I wanna make an .exe Anyhow I do that and I get a compile error on this line: Private Sub cmdPrint_Click() If Text1.Text <> "" Then Printer.Print Text1.Text Printer.EndDoc End If End Sub it says end if without block if Does anybody know what I did wrong??
Advertisement
It should look like this:

Private Sub cmdPrint_Click()If Text1.Text <> "" Then    Printer.Print Text1.Text    Printer.EndDocEnd If

Since you put the line "Printer.Print Text1.Text" on the same line as the If...Then statement, VB assumed that the entire If...Then block was on one line. When it reached the "End If," there was no If to End.

There is also an option File->Make EXE in the menu.
Post Extant Graphical MUD
Just press F5 to run, or ctrl-F5 if you want to be sure it all compiles first.

Also, you should never compare a string with an empty string in VB. It creates an instance of the empty string everywhere you write "", and it is far slower.
It is much more efficient to write:
Private Sub cmdPrint_Click()If Len(Text1.Text) > 0 Then    Printer.Print Text1.Text    Printer.EndDocEnd Ifthough you could also have written this which is not as nice...If Len(Text1.Text) > 0 Then Printer.Print Text1.Text : Printer.EndDoc

"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Quote:Original post by iMalc
Also, you should never compare a string with an empty string in VB. It creates an instance of the empty string everywhere you write "", and it is far slower.

Not true in this case. VB would know that Text1.Text is a property of the object Text1. If Text1 does not exist, VB will not create it. The program would die with an error.

Simple variables will get created on the fly if Option Explicit is not specified. The best practice is to use Option Explicit and dim all your variables.
DaTroof, that really had nothing to do with the quote you responded to.

He's talking about writing in the literal "", as in:

If Text1.Text = "" Then  ' Do some stuffEnd If

as opposed to:

If Len(Text1.Text) = 0 Then  ' Do Some stuffEnd If
daerid@gmail.com
Quote:Original post by daerid
DaTroof, that really had nothing to do with the quote you responded to.

He's talking about writing in the literal "", as in:

Ugh. My mistake. From now on, coffee first, then forums.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement