VC6 is buggy as hell!

Started by
25 comments, last by Shannon Barber 23 years ago
Close the compiler and go to the directory where your files are stored. Delete the projectname.asp and projectname.ncb files. I am not sure what the .asp file is, but the ncb file is a data base so the compiler can display your classes on the Class View tab in the Workspace window.

The .ncb file is rebuilt when you open your project. Look at its size before you delete it. It will be much smaller when its rebuilt. The .asp file appears when you are debugging.

Since I started deleting these files every time I backed up my source code, VC++ hasn''t failed to compile my changed source yet.
Advertisement
Yep the .ncb file is usually the culprit of any serious problems happening. It''s bad enough to cause some people to write a visual studio plugin called NukeNCB

Another file you may want to delete now and then is the .clw ( classwizard ) file - this will also cause it to be rebuilt when needed, and will remove inconsistencies and bugs.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor

My codes perfect, its the comiler that''s buggy, you must not use it that much felonius

Well only every day for many hours.

I did not say that it was bugfree. I said it was less buggy that other compiler and development tools. So the problem is that you haven''t tried some many others I guess.

To be concrete MVC++ actually is quite buggy when it comes to using inner classes that are templates.

And for errors such as strange returns - try switching too innocent looking lines and the compiler will probably suddenly do it right. It is often small things that make s*it happen.

And as I said, Your IDE installation may be messed up. Do a reinstall and make a new project file or delete all temporary files.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
I work on VC6 (with sp4 and processor pack) for several hrs every day.

I never experienced big crashes or bugs.
I found some issues in debug, which made me spend a lot of time (you know... it''s hard to debug when release crashes and debug works perfectly... =)) just for discovering debug adds some typecast.

Anyhow there''s something which make me go really crazy:
the damn SOURCESAFE!

It loses check-out list, sometimes I need to quit the vc6 and then restart it for retrieving again the updated files in sourcesafe server.

Sometimes it happens that some files are no more under source control.

Once I experienced a weird problem: I had a 100 files project, and when I tried to open one (it was the material manager) the pc immediately slowed down. Every time I used cut and paste inside that file I had to wait 10 SECONDS (!!!!) before having the control again.
Solution to this problem: make a backup copy of the working folder, delete the old one, and retrieve everything from sourcesafe. Guess what? It worked. Bah. =(

Every1 experienced problem with it? every1 tried cvs?
I've had the same problem at university. There the problem is, that the NT file system (operating over a network) takes a while for the file to be saved. So VC says the file hasn't changed and updates it's timestamps ... argh ... that is annoying as hell. The only solution is to force the compile as some people have mentioned.

BTW, what do you do, when your program crashes in "new"? Has anyone ever had that one?

- MK42

Thanks! The time on my sever was offset by -1:23 from my PC!

spurious interrupt
that's jsut funny =)

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on October 14, 2000 1:18:43 PM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I had a program that wouldn''t build in release config (internal compiler error) only to find that VC++ was "smart" enough not to let me build a release with a function that would randomly generate divide by zero errors (although the function was fine for it in debug mode). A slight modfication to the function and VC++ was happy to compile my release.
I''ve used cvs and never had a problem with it. WinCVS is a nice tool too, and you can work on it with ppl without mscv++...I don''t really see the point of paying money for something that cvs does pretty damn well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement