Question with script execution.

Started by
2 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello, Today i have successfully tested my first AS script.

int sum = 0;
char *Script = 
"for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)\n"
"{\n"
"\tsum += i;\n"
"}";

engine = asCreateScriptEngine(ANGELSCRIPT_VERSION);
engine->AddScriptSection("module", "section", Script, ScriptLength, 0);

engine->Build("module", 0);
engine->RegisterGlobalProperty("int sum", &sum);
int r = engine->ExecuteString("module", Script);

What I have need of now is how i can reliably execute the script one statement at a time so that if I want I can pause the execution of the script by pressing a button, or stop the execution altogether. something along the lines of

while(r != 0)
{
    while(b_PauseScript)
        Sleep(100);
    if(b_StopScript)
        break;
    r = execute_next_statement();
}

Advertisement
You can use ExecuteStep() to execute a part of the script and then return. Unfortunately, the steps taken by ExecuteStep() is not very well defined at the moment. Currently it only guarantees that it will suspend the execution at least once per loop. I'm working on making it stop after each statement, like it did in version 1.8.x.

You could also call either Suspend() or Abort() on an active context from another thread. However AngelScript's support for multithreading is still under development and may not be that stable.

One note about your sample code. You call Build() and then RegisterGlobalProperty(). Normally you would register the property before, since the compiler wouldn't know about it otherwise.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I have a new problem that i am unable to figure out.

this is the code:
	ASEngine = asCreateScriptEngine(ANGELSCRIPT_VERSION);	ASEngine->AddScriptSection("module", "section", Script, ScriptLength, m_lPrevScriptLength);	COutStream out;	int a = ASEngine->Build("module", &out);

these are the errors, and follwing the errors, is the script
section (564, 2) : Error : Unexpected token 'for'
section (564, 20) : Error : Expected identifier
section (564, 27) : Error : Expected identifier
//void main(void)//{	int sum = 0;	for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)	{		sum += i;		//m_PlayerX = sum;		//UpdateData(0);	}//}

EDIT-->

I appear to have corrected the problem by changing the scriptto something along these lines:

int sum1(int a, int b){	return a+b;}void main(){	for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)	{		sum +=sum1(sum,i);		m_PlayerStatus = sum;		//UpdateData(0);	}}

and using the following code:

ASEngine = asCreateScriptEngine(ANGELSCRIPT_VERSION);		ASEngine->RegisterGlobalProperty("int sum", ∑);	ASEngine->RegisterGlobalProperty("const int m_PlayerStatus", &m_PlayerStatus);	ASEngine->RegisterGlobalProperty("const float m_PlayerHeading", &m_PlayerHeading);	ASEngine->AddScriptSection(0, "section", Script, strlen(Script), m_lPrevScriptLength);			COutStream out;		int a = ASEngine->Build(0, &out);	ASEngine->CreateContext(&ASCtx);	ASCtx->Prepare(ASEngine->GetFunctionIDByDecl(0, "void main()"));	int r = ASCtx->Execute();

[Edited by - Rain Dog on October 17, 2004 12:21:04 AM]
All statements must be located inside functions, this is why you got the errors with unexpected tokens in when compiling the script without the function declaration. Of course, global variables can be declared outside functions.

Note that if you use ExecuteString() the library automatically wraps the code in a function so with ExecuteString() you should pass the statements directly. It isn't possible to declare a function in ExecuteString() but ExecuteString() can call functions previously compiled in the module.

I also noticed that you pass m_lPrevScriptLength to AddScriptSection(). This is probably not what you want to do, what is happening is that are compiler messages have their line numbers offset with this argument. This is why you're getting errors on line 564, instead of 4 as would be more reasonable.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement