Sign in to follow this  
Mysteryman

Game company says it'll call me for an interview but doesn't -- what should I do?

Mysteryman    122
A few weeks ago I had a phone interview with a representative from a company, and he said that within a week I'd get a call from someone else for another interview. (He didn't say that I'd only get a call if they were interested; he said someone would definitely call back.) But as far as I know, they never called back. I e-mailed them about it, but I haven't heard anything. The company is in Florida so I'm sure it's been affected by the hurricanes, but there's no reason why those would make the company forget about me. It just seems unprofessional that they'd tell me something and then not do it. As far as I know, they wouldn't have given me the job, but I'd at least like to try for it. Does anyone have any ideas about what I could do? [Edited by - Mysteryman on October 17, 2004 12:22:24 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
You had a PHONE interview?... curious... is it an established or new company?. If you think they wouldn't have given you the job anyway I'd look around elswehere meantime. Although it's unprofessional not to give you a call back, it does happen, and there could be many reasons for not getting back to you.

Mysteryman    122
Quote:
Original post by kooktroop
Give them a call.

I don't have their number, and can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: I found it. I guess I can try to call them tomorrow.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
You had a PHONE interview?... curious... is it an established or new company?. If you think they wouldn't have given you the job anyway I'd look around elswehere meantime. Although it's unprofessional not to give you a call back, it does happen, and there could be many reasons for not getting back to you.

I guess it was really half of a phone interview, and the problem is that I never had the other half. But it is a well-established company. I assumed that I might not get the job since I've been turned down by other game companies, but like I said, I want to know. Being forgotten is worse than being turned down.

Mysteryman    122
Quote:
Original post by evelyn
Any idea why you've been turned down by other companies?.

I don't know, I guess they liked another candidate better. I just meant that there's always a chance of being turned down.

Bagpuss    122
Even if its a phone interview, if you get turned down, show that you want to improve yourself, and ask for feedback that you can use to constructively improve your approach, manner and skills.

And in future, whether its for an interview, or you are in a job. Try to take notes of work related conversations. Even if its just date, time, who with and subject. It'll jog your memory, and its a good habit to be in when a customer or your project leader calls you up to discuss something. It means you are less likely to lose the information on a postit note, if your records are good they can becoem part of the project documentation, and its a good piece of ass covering material if the project goes wrong. You can prove youve done what you said, and when u said it.

Bp

Mosh    241
I would definately try calling them about it. I know where I live, if you get told you will get a call from a company regarding a vacancy, 9 out of 10 times they expect you to call them. It shows that you have an interest in the company / vacancy. If they say you haven't got the position, ask them why and also ask them if they could keep you in mind if there are ever any similar vacancies as you have a genuine interest in their company (of course you probably want to actually have an interest in the position :) ). All employers like to know that their staff have an interest in what they do, so show them that you do.

VladR    722
Don`t want to hijack your thread but I`m in exactly same situation with same problem.

I was told 3 weeks ago that I`d definitely receive a Yes or No, i.e. it was said clearly that I will hear from them even if it would be No. However, since I called them already 3 times from the beginning of the hiring process (1st week of September), I`m not sure if it is going to sound good if I call them 4th time (although in a 2-months timeframe). You know, if they have 60 resumes, and each applicant calls them twice a month, that`s like 120 calls per month, which is 30 per week. Definitely a pain in the ass. And someone may be more "active".
Maybe it would alert an impatience on my side ? I have to add that they started hiring process in first week of September (with about 30 resumes), 2 weeks later they had 40 resumes, and another week later they had already 60-70 resumes (as I was told during each phone conversation).
Still, there`s probability that they`re still rewieving candidates (and still receiveing new resumes) and most probably those programmer vacancies aren`t that necessary to be filled ASAP, i.e. maybe they just search for best possible candidate, if there is some need in a month or two ?

What is your experience ? Is it common for hiring process to take 2 months or more ?

What would you do in this situation if you were me ?

OrenGL    228
A company once flew me over for an interview after 2 month since "first contact", so yeah it can happen, but there was contact with the company during those 2 months.

tribal_warrior    100
@Mysteryman: I know you said Florida so I had to ask... Out of curiosity- was it EA Tiburon? They have a bad habit of doing phone interviews and forgetting to call back. I speak from experience. :)

Regards,
Micah Hymer
Reverie Entertainment, LLC
www.reverieentertainment.com

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
General Tip: Companies don't need to call you, they know that you'll call them. And if you don't, there's ten or twenty who will. Add the fact that you're talking about a Game Company...

Simple fact is they're pretty sure they don't need you. Your task is to convince them they do.

CALL THEM. CALL THEM. CALL THEM.

Mysteryman    122
Quote:
Original post by tribal_warrior
@Mysteryman: I know you said Florida so I had to ask... Out of curiosity- was it EA Tiburon? They have a bad habit of doing phone interviews and forgetting to call back. I speak from experience. :)

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but since you brought it up, yes, that's the company. Is anyone from that company reading this?

Anyway, I called them yesterday and was directed to someone's voice mail. I left a message but haven't heard back. I called again today and asked the person handling the phone if there was an actual person I could talk to, but she said she doesn't know when people are in or out, and there's no way I can call someone directly. But I did write down the extension that I was sent to, so next time I call (it's long distance, of course) I can just ask to be sent there and hope someone's available.

[Edited by - Mysteryman on October 19, 2004 3:33:23 PM]

tribal_warrior    100
Quote:
Original post by Mysteryman
Quote:
Original post by tribal_warrior

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but since you brought it up, yes, that's the company. Is anyone from that company reading this?

Anyway, I called them yesterday and was directed to someone's voice mail. I left a message but haven't heard back. I called again today and asked the person handling the phone if there was an actual person I could talk to, but she said she doesn't know when people are in or out, and there's no way I can call someone directly. But I did write down the extension that I was sent to, so next time I call (it's long distance, of course) I can just ask to be sent there and hope someone's available.

Heh. No- I dont work for EA Tiburon. So you are okay- as it happens, I had heard that Tiburon is making alot of expansions to their already large team and I had been contacted about an Assistant Producer position.

Unfortunately, I could not have been able to take the position anyway- due to the fact that my current company has become too established to step down from it, even for a Producer position at EA.

But yeah- Tiburon has a bad habit of not calling back.

So when you said that a company in Florida hadnt called you back, based on my recent experience- I was guessing you were talking about EA.

Give them a call back. I think their scout is James Brewer- so ask for him specifically.

Good luck, and let me know what happens.

Regards,
Micah Hymer
Reverie Entertainment, LLC
www.reverieentertainment.com

VladR    722
Just wanted to say thanks for the tip for calling company anyway. This way I was told yesterday that they were just collecting CVs for positions that MIGHT be available next year in Spring (which is what I thought for the first time when it took more than a month and they were still browsing the first half of applicants). Guess that`s a common practice. At least I know the current situation. And they updated their page still crying for more CVs. So by the time they really gonna need someone, they`ll have hundred(s) of CVs on a table. Sigh...

Mysteryman    122
This is ridiculous. I've called three times today, and each time, James Brewer is in the building but unavailable. Actually, I guess I've called five times, because once I was cut off and once I was directed to the wrong place, and I had to call back. Finally I gave up a left a message on his voice mail, because I have to go out and can't keep doing this. If I ever get him, I might ask if they'll reimburse me for all the long distance calls I've made.

CodeMunkie    805
Quote:
If I ever get him, I might ask if they'll reimburse me for all the long distance calls I've made.

What exactly is your goal here? Do you really want to "stick it to them" over this? Is it worth burning bridges? Do you want to be remembered as "the jerk that would not stop calling and then had the nerve to try and get us to pay his phone bill, ha!". What you don't seem to understand is that they have no obligation to talk to you. I'm only telling you this becaues you seem to be really frustrated, which is understandable. However, you are just wasting your time and energy which could be better spent updating your portfolio and preparing for the next interview with another company. Besides, after all the frustration, do you really want to work with this group of people? There are tons of great companies out there who I'm sure would love to have you. Don't get bogged down over one bad experience. Good luck!

Mysteryman    122
I wasn't really serious about asking for reimbursement, okay? But I might as well give up. I know they don't have an obligation to call me, but they did say they would, and it's just very frustrating because there's nothing I can do about it. Anyway, I did leave a message with the guy the last time I called, so maybe he'll call back. If not, I guess I'll just forget about it.

wendigo23    512
In my experience, if a company has any serious interest in hiring you, it will happen very fast. All my job offers have occured within a week of the interview, which always followed very soon after the phone interview. The forgetting to call you back routine is, well, a routine. It seems pretty normal in this industry, so I'd say just move on. (Not quite on topic) Most recently, I didn't even have an interview. An excoworker that was working at this place IM'ed me and said 'so when are you going to start working here?'.

cbenoi1    484
> I've called three times today, and each time,
> James Brewer is in the building but unavailable.

People are rushing to finish up the Xmas offerings as of now. The job is for Spring time, 5 months away, probably for a license they are still negotiating for. Think about it and where this guy's priorities are right now.

> But I might as well give up.
> I guess I'll just forget about it.

This is the attitude you would display if a hard-to-find bug appears before a deadline? Hmmmmmm....

> I did leave a message with the guy the last time I called

Good plan.

Bug him once a week, very politely reminding him who you are and what you are calling for. Investigate the upcoming titles; maybe you can leave personalized messages like "I know you are up to your ears in 'Game Title', but I would really appreciate no more than 10 minutes of your time for a follow-up call. We can certainly plan for a longer call when the rush is over."

If you plan to visit the area in the near future, then say so and even invite the guy for a quick lunch near the office.
Managers tend to view lunches as time wasters; if they can do a little business while at it the better.

-cb