Sign in to follow this  
raptorstrike

rendering pre-made scenes to games

i have resently downloaded truespace 3.2 and i am wondering how and if i can encorperate these scenes into my games and what libraries i would need i am using c++ as a language thx[smile] ps. if any one knows how to add sound to truespace could you let me know

Quote:

ps. if any one knows how to add sound to truespace could you let me know

Is this a joke ? No offense, but this belongs in the begginers forums.

To generally answer your question. Truespace is a program that creates 3D scenes and stores them in a file. Its not a game maker, you can't add soudns to it. It just creates 3d mesh data. If you load this data into your game, that your are programming in c or c++ or any other programming language, and pass it to an API such as OpenGL or DirectX it will render that data.

no its not a joke i know truespace isnt a game make (common no ones that dumb) i just want to know how to use the scene like what kind of file types i would need and if i can export animation,lighting or whatever and if i can use objects in my scene as individual entities or if the scene would be treated as 1 entitie.

Well if you want to use what you create with truespace you need to know their file format. Or you could export it into a simplier format, if truespace allows you to do that.

And yes, if truespace stores the animation and lightning data in its its file, then you can retrieve it. But like i said you have to know how the data is stored in their file format.

Once you load the 3d mesh data, and anymations, you can do watever you want with it. It doesn't have to be one entity. Once you load it you've got the data and you can split it up anyway you want. For example if you want to make a game level with truespace. Then you load the data in your program and store it in a way that is convinient for you. Like in most first person shooters, the game level data is stored in an octree, each leaf in a tree represents a small part of space and stores which polygons from your scene are in that part of space. And then when you render your level, you traverse all the leaves and find out which are visible, i.e. which ones are inside your viewing frustrum. And then you only pass the polygons from those leaves to be rendered. (so that you don't waste cpu time and graphics card memory rendering stuff you don't see anyways). This is just a quick summary of octree space subdivision. I just brought it as an example of how you use your 3d scene data in your game. Hope it makes sence. If you need more detail on octrees or other space subdivision techniques, there are tons of articles on gamedev. And also remember google is your friend.

Not to make anyone look smarter or dumber, but you can add sounds to 3D Studio's animated scenes [grin]

As for the topic, you can render an entire animated mesh scene from the modeler in your game. The rendering part is pretty easy with most APIs. The animating part is a bit of hardcore math. And I don't know of any exporters for any modelers that support sound. I'm sure there are some out there. If not, you could probably rig up a hacked event system to play sounds. Send messages to your game engine through the scene in some way. [smile]