Sign in to follow this  
Sir Sapo

Advice

Sir Sapo    769
I've got a question (believe it or not). I have been doing some programming in OpenGL for a while now and I was wondering, should I try and make my own engine in OpenGL(I am in 10th Grade so my Math is limited to Algebra II and a little Pre-Cal), or should I focus on using a premade engine such as Torque?

nagromo    676
It depends on what you want to do. If you just want to make a game, a pre-made engine will save you a lot of time and is a good idea.

However, if you want to learn the techniques and math behind it (for an engine you shouldn't need any math harder than trig and matrix math) you will want to either modify an OSS engine or make your own. Also if you plan on getting into the industry it might be nice to have your own engine to show your skill.

GotenRulezU    100
I'd go with working on an engine. My friend made one and worked on it for several years and eventually thats what got him a job a software company. His name was victor niccolet. The engine was called exactica.

Boku San    428
Sucks to be in High School, huh? I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm not really focused on making an engine, just on learning concepts. You should definitely give it a shot, though.