AMD Processor Performance Rating System

Started by
28 comments, last by WonderWorld 19 years, 6 months ago
I run Maya6 on an Intel P4 3GHz with the 810 chipset and also an AMD athlon64 2800, the intel system beats the the AMD easily in render times. This is my benchmark.. Oh and if I open another program during render on the AMD it bombs, the intel system will happily run I-tunes & maya (during render)albeit slowly!. Looking forward to Intels multicore products......
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by gordon7up
I run Maya6 on an Intel P4 3GHz with the 810 chipset and also an AMD athlon64 2800, the intel system beats the the AMD easily in render times. This is my benchmark.. Oh and if I open another program during render on the AMD it bombs, the intel system will happily run I-tunes & maya (during render)albeit slowly!. Looking forward to Intels multicore products......

And so we can conclude that *everything* Intel does is faster at *everything*? It's not quite that simple.
For one thing, the Athlon cpu you compared with is only rated 2800+. Second, the rest of the system plays a role too. Are they using equally fast ram and harddrives? Is Maya optimized for Intel only?

I didn't see a link to your benchmark though.
However, I believe that Intel does pretty well in 3d rendering. How much of this is due to optimizations in Maya/3DS I don't know.

As have been said before, look at benchmarks. Plenty of benchmarks. Dont trust what you read or hear from any one single source. Not me, and not anyone else on this thread. Get a general overview, and trust that. And decide on what you're going to use it for. If it's for games, programming or general desktop use, Athlon 64 is far faster. For some media encoding (depending on codec) and some 3d rendering (depending on the application you're using), the P4 is faster.

Of course, this may or may not matter to you, but the Athlon 64 uses relatively little power compared to equivalent P4's (Especially P4 Prescotts, but also compared to Northwood), and with Cool 'n Quiet enabled, power consumption goes even further down. This means it's a lot easier to keep cool, and it puts less stress on your PSU.
Maya is not optimised for any specific processor, I bought the 64 2800+ because it was pitched by AMD as a 3ghz equivelant (maybe but not at intensive math computation i.e. software rendering), didnt say that Intel was better/faster in general due to this, I think if I was buying a new system I would look at forum threads like this and take each users own bench marks i.e. if I was looking to buy a system for 3d rendering then the P4 would be my choice simply because a few folks (as well as myself) here have each stated it does the job better.

cheers,
Gordon
Considering this is a developing forum this benchmark might be of some intrest. Of course you won't really notice the three second difference betwen the AMD fastest and the Intel fastest, but it's still a intresting benchmark.
The graph was taken from this article.
I have went 100% with Intel in the past.. and I've always been happy with the system performance. They have some really great boards and chipsets, and I've probably used about 10 Intel systems over the years. Honestly I mean benchmarks mean nothing, it is almost impossible to tell the difference between my 2.6C and 3.2C when using it in daily use.

If I were to buy a new system in the next few months, it would be an AMD 64. Although, I would wait until the new nForce chipset with PCI-Express just to make sure the board isn't outdated before I buy it :)

Right now the Intel chipsets seem to be a little ahead due only to PCI-express, other than that I believe in every other department AMD has the lead.

If I had to buy a system RIGHT this second, I would most likely go Intel due to PCI-express and upgradability without having to swap the board... I mean the performance differences between AMD and Intel are negligable. Although if at all possible I would try to hold out for the PCI-express chipsets for AMD, which will be the best performer overall, and leave you with upgradability.
Quote:Original post by Saruman
If I were to buy a new system in the next few months, it would be an AMD 64.

If I had to buy a system RIGHT this second, I would most likely go Intel due to PCI-express and upgradability without having to swap the board.

Well you're in luck then, the nForce4 motherboard was just launched with support for PCI-Express for the AMD platform.

Btw, since you're concernd with PCI-Express I asume you're a gamer (since it's mainly GFX cards that can take advantage of it) in which case the performance betwen AMD and Intel isn't negligable, in some games (like Doom 3 and the Half Life 2 stress test) the performance gap is over 15% in favour of AMD. That's something you'll be able to notice (provided of course you have a killer gfx card so the game isn't GPU bound).

Oh well, all this ranting probably makes me look like a AMD fan boy, I'm not. If I were buying a machine for 3D rendering I'd get a Intel system, for everything else I'd get a AMD system (well except for a movie encoding system, where I'd just get something cheap and let it crunch 24/7).
AMD has also announced the release of two new processors today. Here's a snippet from my inbox...

AMD UNLEASHES THE NEW LEADER IN PC PERFORMANCE: THE AMD ATHLON™ 64 FX-55 PROCESSOR
— Latest additions to the AMD Athlon™ 64 processor family represent the next leap forward in desktop computing —

SUNNYVALE, CALIF.—OCTOBER 19, 2004— AMD (NYSE: AMD) today upholds the PC performance crown with the introduction of the AMD Athlon™ 64 FX-55 processor, the world’s ultimate PC processor for enthusiasts and hard-core gamers. The AMD Athlon 64 processor 4000+, also announced today, provides businesses and consumers with world-class performance and enables a more secure computing environment. These new additions to the award-winning AMD Athlon 64 processor family represent the next leap forward in desktop computing, providing exceptional performance on 32-bit applications today, with the ability to migrate to 64-bit applications.

“Since the introduction of the AMD Athlon FX processor over a year ago, we have consistently delivered on our promise to provide the absolute best overall PC processor you can get. Now in our third release, the AMD Athlon 64 FX processor is simply the best and remains unmatched in the industry,” said Marty Seyer, corporate vice president and general manager, Microprocessor Business Unit, Computation Products Group, AMD. “With the AMD Athlon FX-55 processor, performance-hungry gamers and enthusiasts will be able to experience intense graphics, virtual worlds, high-resolution video and sophisticated artificial intelligence, providing a computing experience that looks and feels like an extension of reality.”

Michael Brennan, Ph.D.
Quote:Original post by thedo
Apps optimised for SSE2 for example trounce the AMD processors (and those apps are ususally 3D modelling apps, and Video editing, etc).

AMD64 processors support SSE2.
AMD :D:D:D
We'll fight till we win, or we'll fight util we die !!!
The thread is just to long to read through. But if this isn't already mentioned I have this to add.

First AMD is what I like and use. Performance wise they are about equal with the same P4 or faster.

I would hold of a couple of weeks buying the stuff since the new nForce4 motherboards are coming now. They have a few really neat features hardware firewall, SATA and IDE raid that can be combined, 3GB/s SATA etc.

It's said on anadtech that they will be out in a week or two from ASUS and others. Will probably cost $150-$200.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement