making exe's that u can use outta vc++

Started by
3 comments, last by Toolmaker 19 years, 6 months ago
I know this may sound dumb, but how do u make exe's that u can use without having to use VC++ to execute them. E.g. i finished the tetris clone, but i can only play it thru VC++, how do i make it so i can give it to my friends to use who dont have VC++. b.t.w. i have vc++6.0 if that makes nay difference. Thnx.
Advertisement
When you compile and link everything, it should create a .exe in the debug folder of your project.
Programs that you compile with Visual C++ are stored in .exe files in the 'release' or 'debug' (depending on your current configuration) directories in your project directory. Those exe are executable that you should be able to execute alone. If I remember correctly, You could still need the run time libraries of VC++ (I think you can download them and ship them with the application) but if create the project as statically linked (you have to specify 'use static libraries') then the exe alone shoud work. Perhaps you can change this even when the project was already created (try some options panel or project settings).
I don't use VC++ anymore, so I could be wrong. Hope to have been helpful,
Alessandro
You don't need any specific runtime libraries, other than the ones that are provided by windows by default anyway (such as mfc40.dll)

However make sure you build a Release executable if you want to distribute it to your friends, because a Debug executable will require visual c++ debug libraries.

Hope this helps.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You don't need any specific runtime libraries, other than the ones that are provided by windows by default anyway (such as mfc40.dll)

However make sure you build a Release executable if you want to distribute it to your friends, because a Debug executable will require visual c++ debug libraries.

Hope this helps.

Incorrect. If the application is compiled with VS.NET(7.0 or 7.1), you still need th VS7 runtimes. Well, unless you static link the runtime libraries.

As for Visual C++ 6, you don't need to distribute extra runtimes since almost every OS will have the VC6 runtimes installed.

Toolmaker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement