Nebula 2 - Tutorials and some info - please.

Started by
7 comments, last by intoxicate 19 years, 6 months ago
Hello. I'm looking for some tutorials for Nebula 2 Device. I want to use Nebula2 in my game project with Python and C++ Maybe someone have some good stuff. I be gratefull for _something_ Can you tell me when Nebula2 will be in full SDK ? (meybe someone knew) Greets. // sory for my eng... [Edited by - intoxicate on October 17, 2004 7:21:39 AM]
sorry for englishwww.burzuazja-rpg.prv.pl
Advertisement
so nobody use Nebula Device ?
Nebula2 and some various tools like the nebula shell and nebula viewer will be included with the sdk. Source code and all iis htere too, along with project files for vc7. If you're going to be using scripting you're going to have to download tcl as well (tcl is not very necessary, you can use other script languages, but it's what tnd uses natively)

As for tutorials, nada one I've found. Best you can do is join the nebula mailing list and search the nebula wiki.

list and wiki is at

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/nebuladevice
[size=2]aliak.net
There aren't any real tutorials, though they've finally started putting together some mini-examples that will hopefully be helpful. The few I've seen so far, though, aren't helpful - they're overly complicated and you basically just are given a bunch of code to wade through on your own.

Join the mailing list, though you won't get a lot of help there, check their IRC channel, and look through the code for nviewer and bombsquad bruce. And look through the docs, of course. All that will help a little, but really you're left just trying to figure it out on your own.
do you think that in next realease of N2 SDK will have some nice doc's and tutorials ?

And i have another question
N2 it's only Graphics Render ?
Or will be available some Game Frameworks, Collision System, ODE, cal3d in next realeases ?
N2 is mainly a graphics engine, though they have started adding a general framework and support for things like networking. ODE works with N2, and there's a sample app with the code that shows how to use it, but I'm not sure how integrated it is...check out the code in the cvs from sourceforge and look at the "physdemo" stuff. I think Cal3D also has at least some support, but I haven't used it at all so I'm not sure...look in the docs or ask on the mailing list, someone will probably at least tell you if it supports it yet.

As for the SDK, I'm not sure - it's kind of funny because 2 separate groups are working on the engine, and then every month or two they combine all their work. So Radon Labs will release its own SDK every once in a while, but the cvs version from sourceforge typically has more features (and is publicly updated far more often, of course). I use the cvs version and not the Radon Labs SDK, so I don't know what's missing from the SDK. That said, I don't think it's going to be 'done' any time soon, there's still a ton of work to be done. I would expect that people will continue to create small, basic programs for the cvs, but I don't know how great they'll be as a 'tutorial'. You're really better off asking on the mailing list so you can get some specific answers from the devs.

From using N2, these are what I consider the biggest problems and annoyances:
-There are no tutorials
-No one wants to help you learn
-The docs are barely helpful
-OpenGL support doesn't work yet, so it's not cross-platform
-It's generally impossible to build the engine into a dll instead of statically linking
-Lots of stuff is still buggy
-The classes etc aren't very friendly for customization
-Some of the features of the engine aren't very efficient, but it's hard to avoid using them
-The build system is somewhat annoying

That said, it *is* still a work in progress, with a long way to go. If you're looking for something that's at least somewhat easy to learn and use, you might want to look for other engines until nebula is farther along.
thanks for info :) - if someone want to add something about Nebula Device - i be gratefull.
I have mail from Radon Labs that new N2 SDK will be available at the end of this year (december)

and what do you think TeamWhore better start with N1 ? (i mean if it is good for game project) or maybe wait for N2 ...
I'm not very familiar with N1 since I haven't used it. Judging from what the devs and everyone else says though, if you're going to use either of them, you should probably just try to learn N2. It's annoying that there isn't much support for it yet, but you can learn it as you go by looking at existing programs and by just trying stuff on your own. The support for it should improve over time, and it is quite usable as an engine now.

Bear in mind that Radon may release their next update around December (which means it will be added with the cvs stuff by mid to late January), but the docs etc likely aren't going to be significantly different. I wouldn't expect any great tutorials until work on the engine is near completion.
and what do you think can i make RPG game (something like fallout) in Torque Game Engine ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement