Sign in to follow this  
ontheheap

New site design

ontheheap    798
I've been working on a new design for my site for the last couple of hours. I didn't like the old one because it was too limiting. Not to mention that other one was actually a template from a free template site. This new design is completely original. I've tested it in firefox, netscape, mozilla, and konqueror. It looks crappy in konqueror, but I would imagine most people use either IE or firefox. Also, there is no content up yet. I'm still playing around with the design. Please let me know what you think! Edit: clicky [grin]

grekster    640
Looks good so far, maybe you could do a bit of work on your banner at the top? To me it doesnt seem to fit with the rest of the page. Also the bar that says "Did someone say caek?!" and the bar that says "Main Navigation" arent aligned verticaly, the main navigation bar is a little higher on the page. Dont know whether that was intentional or not:)

Anyway its good work keep it up!

EDIT: Also when you change the size of the window everything starts getting bunched together and you lose all the spacing around the tables.

PS Im using IE to look at the pages:)

ontheheap    798
I was wondering if those title bars were aligned properly! I couldn't tell and thought perhaps my eyes were playing a trick on me. Now that I know someone else is seeing it, it jumps right out at me. I definitely agree that the banner is out of place. Thing is, I suck at art. Perhaps I'll remove it and just use text or something.

Thank you for the reply ( it seems as if even "dumbass requires team for totally super awesome-d00d cool mmorpg" threads get more replies than I do ;). And double thank you for specifying which browser you were using, by the way.

pan narrans    1284
The layout looks identical in IE 6.0, Firefox 0.9.2 and Opera 7.51.

A couple of points:
  • As has already been mentioned, the title bars should be aligned properly
  • You could make the title bars clearer by either changing the font slightly or removing the horizontal lines
  • The title image looks different in IE, is that a transparency problem?
  • The horizontal lines in the menu section make it a little harder to read than it would be if it were clear
  • You should try to align the indent in each of the sections so that the content lines up (i.e. the writing in the title bars and the menu list on the right all seem to start at a different place)
  • If you are planning to have a list of news, it might be a good idea to give each entry a short title to describe what it's about
Hope that's useful [smile]

ontheheap    798
Thanks pan narrans, that is indeed helpful. The banner is going to be removed, since it really sucks. I've fixed the line-up problem. About the horzontal lines in the menu section, I think it looks to plain without them. Perhaps I could use a lighter color though, and as you suggested, play around with the fonts a little. As far as the title image goes, I think I might need something with warmer colors.

mrhollow    136
Nice site. I'm using Firefox 0.9.3 on Gentoo Linux.

I think that the table background for the news items looks odd maybe something less splotchy, and it's disconcerting to have two different title images on the pages. I defintely like the main front page logo best.

Nice layout, and good backgrounds overall.

Cheers,
Aaron

Sign in to follow this