Sign in to follow this  
onnel

D3DApp for DX9

onnel    124
I've been developing using DX8 and now wanted to convert to DX9. I've based my app on the ubiquitous D3DApp...which no longer exists in DX9! So my question is: Should I convert all my code to no longer use the D3DApp (sadly, I don't really care for the structure of the samples that come with DX9), or can I keep using D3DApp (changing all references in it from 8 to 9 if needed)? Thanks! Onnel

onnel    124
Gauchely responding to myself, it all works fine still using all of the dx8 stuff, though I notice my start up time is MUCH slower...and my application now tries to contact microsoft via the internet!!!

At some point, I'll try updating all my calls to DX9...we'll see how that goes!

Onnel

onnel    124
Really, I'm not bumping...just updating on progress.

I have now converted my DX8.1 project to using all DX9 calls. took perhaps a couple of hours.

In any case, in case anyone else is using the based classes (like D3DApp) from the 8.1 sampels and wants to upgrade to DX9, let me know and I'll send you the upgraded files. There is no reason anyone else should have to go through the work of converting the identical files!

So in case anyone is wondering, it's not that big of a deal to go from DX8.1 to 9.

Best,
Onnel