What do I need to learn to get into hand-held game programming?

Started by
8 comments, last by hplus0603 19 years, 6 months ago
I've been into old-school games that really focused on content other than graphics. Then a friend of mine just threw the thought at me on programming for Gameboy Advanced, and the like. I never thought of it until now. I've been programming in C++ and Win32, so I was wondering what languages you prefer learning for it? Should I spend more time making DOS/Console games on the computer? Is ARM processor the best assembly language to learn? Should I toss out Windows programming? Thanks.
Advertisement
Devrs.com is the best resource.
Programming on the gameboy advance is a lot of fun. Get yourself an MVB2 cable, DevKitAdv gcc Compiler, and start learning at gbadev.org. Most gameboy advance programming is done in C, but I think there is now a g++ compiler out there.

Think of it as a learning experience if nothing else. No high level constructs and libraries to do things for you. Makes you appreciate those low level programmers.
Hmm thanks for the link, but it didn't do much good since I don't know what I'm looking for on it.

Visage: Thanks.
right here
read the ground up tutorials.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
I've done a little GBA programming, and I thought HAM (clicky) it's a compiler/IDE for the GBA made it easy to get going. There's a free and paid version of the IDE. Both are the same, with the exception of the free version displays a Splash screen on all compiled programs and you can't sell your games.

Also, take a look at Harbour's Programming the Nintendo Gameboy Advance http://www.jharbour.com/gameboy/. It was going to be a Premier press book until it got caught up in a legal battle with Nintendo.

All the programming is done on your PC, and if you want to spend $100-300 to get all the accessories you need to create a real GBA cart, then you could play it on your actual GBA (assuming you have one).

For those of you who like screenshots, here's a pic from Harbour's book
Cell phones are also a good choice for game development nowadays - Nokia, for example, has relatively powerful processors in their current mid- to high range models, and some phones (like n-gage) are even designed primarily as game devices.

Furthermore, official support is available, ranging from free to moderately priced devkits.

But yes, GBA programming seems like fun also; couple of my friends are very excited about it and have a really nice game project going for it.

-Nik

Niko Suni

Where might programmers find out about developing for things like the Nintendo DS and/or the Sony PSP?
My friend develops games for cellphones :) He said that the hardest thing to do is making the graphics decent with a limited amount of memory.
-Goten
Nintendo and Sony have developer programs. However, they have very limited time and resources to spend on developers, so they prefer to know that you have a chance of succeeding before they'll actually talk to you. Thus, you have to show that you have reasonable funding, and that you can afford the dev kits (i e, if you don't have at least 50k to blow on equipment and salaries over the next 6 months, don't even try talking to them).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement