Tutorial wanted

Started by
2 comments, last by _Phalanx_ 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi! I'm new at Gameprogramming with DirectX and I've got a problem. I'm coding in Visual Basic 6.0 and DX 8.1! Now my problem: When I want to render a big outdoor surface with some houses and trees I have a very bad performance and this without Sound, AI or SpecialFX, like fire-effects. I know that I have to divide my surface into little tiles and I have to proof if the surface is visible or not. And so I would get a lot more performance. BUT HOW TO CODE IT??? So, if anyone around here knows a tutorial or some tipps: Please post them here! And: Yes I've searched via google! PS: Please excuse my bad english, but this is not my native language!
Advertisement
You're looking for culling techniques. I'm not really up on them myself, but you're going to be looking at stuff on backface culling, frustum culling, occlusion culling, etc.

Just look up those terms in Google. There's plenty of documents that should explain how to do it.

-Auron
Thanks Auron!

I've found some tutorials about culling, but one thing I don't know is how to get the vertex data out of my D3DXMesh.

Am I right that I have to get the data from my .x-file into a vertex buffer to divide it into smaller parts?
I know how to get an array of vertices into the buffer, but not how to do this with an .x-file.
I recommend "Tricks of the 3D game programming gurus" by Andre Lamothe to anyone who is even thinking of writing a 3D game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement