Sign in to follow this  
eal

where to start

eal    272
I'm completely new to network programming and was wondering what to learn in order to impliment multiplayer in games (c++). I was thinking directplay before someone mentioned it is no longer being developed. If you know of any good books or tutorials that would be cool too. thanks

check out the forum FAQ. it has some usefull information. learning the actual syntax and basic concepts of networking is relatively simple. that is, things like setting up connections and sending data.. the hard part is actually implementing this into a game, and synchronizing things. i'd recommend reading Beej's guide to network programming, and then choosing an API to use. like i said, the forum FAQ is filled with usefull info and has links to these API's and Beej's guide.

fredizzimo    133
A good place to start is to read the forum FAQ. That has links to all important resources you will need to get started.

As for directplay. It really doesn't matter what you start with, as the basics concepts are always the same. And directplay is easy to get started with, so it's a good start. I wouldn't stick with it though, for the reason you mentioned, and because it isn't platform independent.

It is probably better to use one of the network libraries linked in the FAQ though, as then there's a good chance that you never need to learn anything else(allthough knowing low level socket programming will always help). Additionally as far as I have seen most of them looks quite straightforward to use, I have never really used any of them though.

kuphryn    210
I highly recommend Network Programming for Microsoft Windows, Second Edition by Jim Ohlund and Anthony Jones.

Check out MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/ntwrkprot.asp

Check out my website for software development links.

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/kuphryn/links.html

Kuphryn