Non stardard height maps

Started by
5 comments, last by Ajare 19 years, 6 months ago
Is there a good way to store a height map where the specified points are not nicely aligned in squares or such, but more randomly, and be easy to load and read and maybe increase or decreace lod too?
Advertisement
for that you'd want to use a mesh.. or an actual model. You could use some black magic to fudge the points in the heightmap.. but using a mesh is more efficient if you get to that point.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Agreed. You're basically breaking what a heightmap is, besides which you'll end up having all the disadvantages of a heightmap with none of benefits you get from a proper mesh.
You CAN have a heightmapped level where different sections are stored at different resolutions or where some sections are missing completely which is more useful when you don't want a square free-roaming map. I don't think that's what you're after from your question though?
why not make it like the red channel is the displacement of the vertex in the x direction
green is height of the vertex. and then green displaces the vertex in the z direction?

and store it in a normal bitmap file? :D
Quote:Original post by JSoftware
why not make it like the red channel is the displacement of the vertex in the x direction
green is height of the vertex. and then green displaces the vertex in the z direction?

and store it in a normal bitmap file? :D

My god.. your explanation alone is giving me seizures. I can't imagine trying to implement something like that. Please don't joke like that.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Well I was thinking of implementing some kind of height map with 'control points' for curve interpolation between points. I just wanted to get rid of points that would otherwise be flat or smooth... and still beable to use some kind of lod
You could try using Bezier patches. Here the vertices specify the curves' control points, and you then build a mesh through interpolation. As far as LOD is concerned, it's too slow to dynamically update (ie like ROAM), but you could either precompute a LOD tree, or apply something like ROAM to the mesh itself (although this would not be as accurate). The 'Utah Teapot' is pretty much the canonical example of Bezier patches.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement