Sign in to follow this  
Asheh

pointers to member functions

Asheh    354
Ive come accross a problem and I know theres ways to solve it but I just cant figure one out.. Basically I have a base (IEventReciever) which other classes derive from( the game states) and each of the game states have an event reciever as a member function. So basically I need to point the current event reciever to the right game state, but I cant figure out how to point to member functions. Can anyone help me out here?

Fruny    1658

class Foo
{
public:
int foo(double) { return 0; }
};

int (Foo::* pmf)(double);
pmf = &Foo::foo;

Foo f;
Foo* pf = &f;

(f.*pmf)(25.0);
(f->*pmf)(40.0);

Or use std::mem_fun, boost::mem_fn, boost::bind or boost::signal - depending on your needs.

Note that pointers to members are contravariant. A pointer to a member function of a derived class can be made to point to member functions of the base class - not the other way round.

Rog    122
It sounds to me like you would be better to make the event reciever a pure virtual function of the IEventReciever base class. When you derive a game state you implement the virtual function for that specific state. That way C++ will make sure the correct function was called.

Washu    7829
Quote:
Original post by Fruny
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Or use std::mem_fun, boost::mem_fn, boost::bind or boost::signal - depending on your needs.

Note that pointers to members are contravariant. A pointer to a member function of a derived class can be made to point to member functions of the base class - not the other way round.

Ahem...
(pf->*pmf)(40.0);