• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thedevdan

C++ makes me cry.

This topic is 4967 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have finally sat down to do a large scale project in C++. However, I am starting to wonder how to do anything (read on). It is becoming painfully apparent that I can't use vectors on actual data; that I will need to use vectors of pointers. This is because I will be using interfaces extensively. Should I use boost's shared_ptr? What other options are there? Surely they don't manage memory all themselves? Maybe I should use C#...

Advertisement
Okay.

More seriously, do you have a question? Do you have a specific problem? (No, asking about boost::shared_ptr does not meet the criteria, because Google answers those questions.)

Quote:
Maybe I should use C#...
Maybe you should consider what your goals are first, and then choose the most appropriate tool for the course?

Quote:
Original post by thedevdan
It is becoming painfully apparent that I can't use vectors on actual data; that I will need to use vectors of pointers. This is because I will be using interfaces extensively. Should I use boost's shared_ptr? What other options are there? Surely they don't manage memory all themselves?

You don't really need to use boost::shared_ptr if you can organize your memory allocation/deallocation. I allocate/deallocate objects in one place, and pass constant pointers around (to prevent unintended deallocation).

Well, you can have objects which are non-virtual interfaces, with functions which forward onto a member object which has a virtual implementation.

The Envelope Letter Idiom describes this.

class InterfaceImpl;

class Interface {
public:
Interface(InterfaceImpl*);
void SomeFunction();
private:
InterfaceImpl* m_pImpl;
};

//this is what gets derived from and overridden
class InterfaceImpl {
public:
virtual void DoSomeFunction();
};

void Interface::SomeFunction() {
m_pImpl->DoSomeFunction();
}

You'd probably want to use a smart pointer to hold the InterfaceImpl pointer.

edit: The overall point being that you hold containers of Interface objects, not pointers to Interface objects:

typedef std::vector<Interface> Interfaces;
Interfaces i;
i.push_back(Interface(new MyInterfaceImpl));
i.push_back(Interface(new YourInterfaceImpl));
i.push_back(Interface(new AnotherInterfaceImpl));

Quote:
Original post by alnite
I allocate/deallocate objects in one place, and pass constant pointers around (to prevent unintended deallocation).

It's okay to delete a constant pointer.

Quote:
Original post by abnormal
just use c# and your pain will stop, as simple as that!

C# is not a panacea for poor software engineering.

Quote:
Original post by antareus
Quote:

it's a crutch, and will help you. Take Antareus's advice. I have experiance in both, and must say that if you really don't need speed, use C#. msdn.com -> visual studio 2005 beta -> visual C# express. :)

Not to derail this thread, but I've never seen anything that really demonsrates the speed benefits of 'organized' vs. 'deorganized' memory allocation. Does anyone know of websites/articles about this?

Quote:
Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
Quote:
Original post by antareus
Quote:

it's a crutch, and will help you. Take Antareus's advice. I have experiance in both, and must say that if you really don't need speed, use C#. msdn.com -> visual studio 2005 beta -> visual C# express. :)
I don't think it's the right thing to call C# a crutch. Is C++ a crutch because it lets you write constructors and destructors that are called automatically, instead of you having to call them on your own? No. C++ lets you think on a higher plane of thought than C because the programmer is free from having to worry about some unimportant details. Similarly, C#, with its garbage collection, allows the programmer to think on an even higher level and thus make better and more innovative code. By the way, tests show that C# is almost as fast (and sometimes even faster) than C++. The only problem really is the overhead of the .Net framework.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!