C++ makes me cry.

Started by
43 comments, last by daerid 19 years, 5 months ago
I have finally sat down to do a large scale project in C++. However, I am starting to wonder how to do anything (read on). It is becoming painfully apparent that I can't use vectors on actual data; that I will need to use vectors of pointers. This is because I will be using interfaces extensively. Should I use boost's shared_ptr? What other options are there? Surely they don't manage memory all themselves? Maybe I should use C#...
Not giving is not stealing.
Advertisement
Okay.

More seriously, do you have a question? Do you have a specific problem? (No, asking about boost::shared_ptr does not meet the criteria, because Google answers those questions.)

Quote:Maybe I should use C#...
Maybe you should consider what your goals are first, and then choose the most appropriate tool for the course?
Quote:Original post by thedevdan
It is becoming painfully apparent that I can't use vectors on actual data; that I will need to use vectors of pointers. This is because I will be using interfaces extensively. Should I use boost's shared_ptr? What other options are there? Surely they don't manage memory all themselves?

You don't really need to use boost::shared_ptr if you can organize your memory allocation/deallocation. I allocate/deallocate objects in one place, and pass constant pointers around (to prevent unintended deallocation).
Well, you can have objects which are non-virtual interfaces, with functions which forward onto a member object which has a virtual implementation.

The Envelope Letter Idiom describes this.

class InterfaceImpl;class Interface {public:    Interface(InterfaceImpl*);    void SomeFunction();private:    InterfaceImpl* m_pImpl;};

//this is what gets derived from and overriddenclass InterfaceImpl {public:    virtual void DoSomeFunction();};

void Interface::SomeFunction() {    m_pImpl->DoSomeFunction();}

You'd probably want to use a smart pointer to hold the InterfaceImpl pointer.

edit: The overall point being that you hold containers of Interface objects, not pointers to Interface objects:

typedef std::vector<Interface> Interfaces;Interfaces i;i.push_back(Interface(new MyInterfaceImpl));i.push_back(Interface(new YourInterfaceImpl));i.push_back(Interface(new AnotherInterfaceImpl));
Quote:Original post by alnite
I allocate/deallocate objects in one place, and pass constant pointers around (to prevent unintended deallocation).

It's okay to delete a constant pointer.
just use c# and your pain will stop, as simple as that!
Microsoft DirectX MVP. My Blog: abi.exdream.com
Quote:Original post by abnormal

C# is not a panacea for poor software engineering.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Quote:Original post by antareus

it's a crutch, and will help you. Take Antareus's advice. I have experiance in both, and must say that if you really don't need speed, use C#. msdn.com -> visual studio 2005 beta -> visual C# express. :)
Not to derail this thread, but I've never seen anything that really demonsrates the speed benefits of 'organized' vs. 'deorganized' memory allocation. Does anyone know of websites/articles about this?
Quote:Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
Quote:Original post by antareus

it's a crutch, and will help you. Take Antareus's advice. I have experiance in both, and must say that if you really don't need speed, use C#. msdn.com -> visual studio 2005 beta -> visual C# express. :)
I don't think it's the right thing to call C# a crutch. Is C++ a crutch because it lets you write constructors and destructors that are called automatically, instead of you having to call them on your own? No. C++ lets you think on a higher plane of thought than C because the programmer is free from having to worry about some unimportant details. Similarly, C#, with its garbage collection, allows the programmer to think on an even higher level and thus make better and more innovative code. By the way, tests show that C# is almost as fast (and sometimes even faster) than C++. The only problem really is the overhead of the .Net framework.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement