Sign in to follow this  
roxxmyboxx

Scripting for an MMORPG

Lets just move past the whole, "scripting is stupid for an mmorpg." And deal with the fact I want to do it. Can anyone suggest a script language to use that is fast, flexible, and functional, respectively. I want it also to be not so difficult, so that people who arent well adapted to C-style can also learn easily. Any advice?

Who would say scripting is stupid for an MMORPG?

Pretty much all the languages mentioned in the forum FAQ are fast, flexible, and functional, just in different quantities. I think Small is the only one there that's very C-like.

To give a better answer to the question, you will have to explain in more detail what sort of things you're hoping to script.

Well the hopeful plan is to baisicly script everything about gameplay in it.

I am going to allow for players to buy playerworld space, and make their own 'worlds'. I want them to have to make an entirely unique world, so itd have to allow us to make it very flexible.

Of course, thats my dream... I usualy dont end up getting exactly what I want... :(

but I really want to try and avoid having to delcare things.

ie

string foo = "bar";

INSTEAD

foo = "bar";

much like php

I think that the need to declare variables is pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things. If you're really bothered about it though, neither Lua or Python require declaration (although Lua needs a 'local' statement if you want it to have local scope). Evolutional's article on GameMonkey seems to imply that the same is true for that language. Same goes for IO. It's not really gonna be hard to find one with that feature.

If you're letting your players script things, that's a more important constraint. It pretty much means that you'll need something which can run in a sandbox. I know Python doesn't make this easy, but I can't speak for other languages. Maybe others will have experience of this.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Instead of scripting, why not work it into the game. Drag 'n' Drop, point 'n' click, etc. etc.

Examples: Black and White (ack... good idea, terrible game), Sims 2, Any RTS.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Instead of scripting, why not work it into the game. Drag 'n' Drop, point 'n' click, etc. etc.

Examples: Black and White (ack... good idea, terrible game), Sims 2, Any RTS.

B&W was a pretty cool game. Though I don't understand how you could possibly become a 'good' god. I did the best I can to be good and I got so freaking frustrated. People would start bitching about food so I'd grab them and throw them off a cliff. Or I'd run out of housing so I'd take babies and throw them into the alar for prayer power.

Blah.

But unfortunatly that method wouldn't work. I want complete customization. I don't want their systems of gameplay to resemble the main worlds at all.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'd say link in with Ruby or Python (personal preference: Ruby). It's a HUGE amount of work to develop your own language, and chances are you won't have the power and flexibility of these two languages. I don't recommend stuff like Lua because it's functional, while Ruby and Python are OO (with Ruby being the next true OO language).

Check out Ruby++ if you're using C++. I haven't personally tried it out, but it looks like a good library for integrating the two.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I don't recommend stuff like Lua because it's functional
What? Lua may allow certain aspects of the lambda calculus, but that doesn't make it a pure functional language.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sorry, I meant 'procedural', but you understood what I meant. It's a personal preference, I love OO programming. Python and Ruby are both great choices.

The text based equivalent of what you are trying to do is a MOO. It is to a MUD what the thing you describe is to a graphical MMORPG.

There are various MOOs (Multi Object Oriented) around, including open source. They allowed a player, whilst in the game, to create and script objects, including new rooms, doors, puzzles, treasures. It may well be worth looking for the source code for one of those as a source of inspiration or even as a base for building a graphical interface on top of.

You have the issue of determining what "winning" means in this case, but mostly people played either as somewhere to roleplay and chat, or because they took a perverse pleasure in making strange objects and leaving them lying around (that would be me ... *ahem* ... my contributions were a door which you could pick up, put somewhere else, and then walk through, and an object which ran away if you tried to pick it up. It kept me amused :)

I don't know who told you Scripting for MMORPG's is stupid, but that guy really has to dive into his books.

Scripting is the way to go. It's easier to organize and you don't have to recompile the binary each and every time.