How is this possible?

Started by
14 comments, last by Eelco 19 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by Dmytry
Quote:Original post by Etnu
The size of an executable hardly matters. It's quite possible (and some might even argue 'easy') to get a basic 3d engine running in 64KB. Of course, all the effort spent on making the executable 'small' could be spent making the app 'better', but that's beside the point.

what's hard, it's making all textures and models and engine and sound to fit in 64KB....

The sound is usually MIDI, which is incredibly small (can be less than 2kb for a minute-lo9ng song with only a few instruments), and textures/models are often procerural, which is much smaller than storing and/or compressing pre-made textures.
__________________I have a computer!
Advertisement
That heaven7 really isn't that amaizing. The most amaizing thing of it imho is the sound.
If you do it in assembly, it definetely wouldn't take more than a few kb to write the basic primitive intersection tests, and then you only need 4 bytes per sphere if you use bytes for each coordinate (and you don't need much more precision). Remember that they are not using polygons, so the raytracing really doesn't have to test mutch objects.

The most stunning 64k demo I've seen so far is zoom3:
http://scene.org/file.php?id=197243
For a raytracer Heaven7 is very fast, so I don't think it's that trivial.
yes im just stunned that heaven 7 is so optimized that run so fast and looks so good.

also 4minute midi aint 2 kb, thats like the single instrument midi. but heaven 7 isnt. i understand it all uses premande texture or generated texture, and mostly primitive shapes, but the animation is alot of work, and so optimized. not to mention the visual effects its in there.

i state again, high quality midi aint 2kb, i am a midi composer(as well as 3d graphic artist), and i know what i mean.
the project genesis demo runs for 10 minutes as well as the midi with no looping. it also uses none primitive shapes, such as a planet surface, some gears, and some hovering crafts.
So anybodys got an idea how they are doing it besides the usual optimizations? Take a look at the scene with the four pillars and the reflective sphere in the middle. One of the shadows from pillars seems corrupted for a moment which seems gives the impresion the its actually a projected texture or something. I think they are rasterizing as much as they can and only raytrace for the absolutley necessanry :D
no i think thats because they try to cast as little shadowrays as possible, ie only one per block of pixels.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement