Go to a publisher?

Started by
17 comments, last by evelyn 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm working on a project that's scheduled to be finished in winter of 2005. It's still in the design phase, but I'm running into a dilemma. From how the design is looking so far, I can not sustain this project as an indie developer. If I want to bring this game to it's full potential, then I'm going to need a lot more funding than I have now. So my choices are: 1. try to pay for it myself 2. go to a publisher and have them fund and publish the game 3. find someone enthusiastic about the game, and ask them to fund it What do you suggest I do? Are there any other options that I haven't metioned? I need help, and this is a very important decision. Dr. Mean
-Vincent Rubinetti
VincentRubinetti.com
Advertisement
could you try to bring a team or just a few people in before you go and risk capital?

from what everyone says, the more complete a game the better chance you have sellling it

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Sorry to say the following..... Publishers will not fund for game development. Paying for it yourself would be good but, if you went down this route, you would need to make sure that you have publishers in place who would be interested in selling the game once it was finished. If you can find someone enthusiastic to fund your game then, wow!. However!, if/when you do apply for funding, from whatever source, they will need to see your business plan.
Hi,
Get an Alpha version working, just one two levels with simple graphics but all in its place. Once you get that you will find the answer to your question is easier.

Luck!
Guimo
How complete should a game be before you pitch it to publishers? Guimo, you said a couple levels with simple graphics, but if the publisher is used to getting something more polished, that's probably not going to do it. Are the publishers used to getting something sketchy but playable, or something reasonably complete?

Of course, the sequel should be easier to sell :)
How polished a game should be before you show it to a publisher depends completely on who you are. If you are a team of people who have made games in the past, you may be able to get funding for an alpha/ prototype. If you don't have a lot of experience as a group, you will need to be nearly beta to raise any money.

Publishers know that most teams can't finish a big polished game. Most of them have been burned at one time or another with an impressive demo or pitch so that now no one will take a risk on anything like that. They also know that the biggest indicator of future success is past success.

An 'angel' investor is a different story.
I have a team, but I'm the only true developer and manager, so to speak. I couldn't ask anyone online to fund or help me fund my project.

Quote:
Sorry to say the following..... Publishers will not fund for game development. Paying for it yourself would be good but, if you went down this route, you would need to make sure that you have publishers in place who would be interested in selling the game once it was finished. If you can find someone enthusiastic to fund your game then, wow!. However!, if/when you do apply for funding, from whatever source, they will need to see your business plan.

Publishers will indeed fund the developement (you're thinking of distributors probably). On the down side, they get the rights to is usually, and change it as they see fit.

I can't pay for it myself... now that I think about it. I just can't.

I might just seek someone to fund the project. And yes, they probably will want to know my plan.

Quote:
Hi,
Get an Alpha version working, just one two levels with simple graphics but all in its place. Once you get that you will find the answer to your question is easier.

Luck!
Guimo

Yeah I did plan to have an alpha version ready for any publisher that I was going to show it to. But I never thought of actually making my decision then.

I really need to have some idea of where I'm going, or else I'll be lost.

Quote:
How complete should a game be before you pitch it to publishers? Guimo, you said a couple levels with simple graphics, but if the publisher is used to getting something more polished, that's probably not going to do it. Are the publishers used to getting something sketchy but playable, or something reasonably complete?

Of course, the sequel should be easier to sell :)

Ahh well, that's not really my concern.

I'm not sure. Here are my predictions:

If I fund it myself...

The game's visuals will be weak and skimpy. The music will remain decent (as I at least have enough software to make it so). The enigine will be mediocre. I wont be satisfied with the quality. I'll probably get it into stores through a distributor, but there might end up being no profit. If I ever decided later that I wanted to bring it to a publisher, they'd take all the rights, money, change the design, and redo all the graphics and sound making all my past efforts futile.

If I go to a publisher right now...

The same thing would happen. They'd take the rights, change the design, and redo all the resources of the game. However I am almost certain it would make it to stores... A bitter sweet ending.

If I get funding, then go to a distributor...

Probably my best option, but difficult to find someone that enthusiastic about it. I'd spend all the money wisely. The graphics, engine, and sound would be superb. The design would stay the same. I'd bring it to a distributor. They'd hopefully get it in stores. They'd take some profits, not as much as a publisher would though.

I don't know. What do you think I should do? Did I miss anything?

Thanks for your help,
Dr. Mean

-Vincent Rubinetti
VincentRubinetti.com
Get a bank loan on a second mortgage.

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

Ah, I meant to add also that any potential funders will be looking at the people, not the game idea and you will have to make sure your biz plan and financials are strong in order to entice anyone to fund your development.
Quote: I'm working on a project that's scheduled to be finished in winter of 2005. It's still in the design phase

I don't want to be a party pooper, but you stand about 0.001% chance of anyone wanting to fund this. Why would a publisher or investor fund your project when:

- It's only in the design phase
- You are probably with an unknown team (you do have a team and development studio, software etc. ready to go right?)
- The game can be created in less than one year! (you must at least allocate 2-4 months for beta, debugging, etc.)

You should at least try to be realistic.

Quote:If I fund it myself... The game's visuals will be weak and skimpy. I'll probably get it into stores through a distributor..

I'm not so certain distributors will pick your game to stock instead of the games coming along in 2005/2006 ;)

Quote:If I go to a publisher right now...
The same thing would happen. They'd take the rights, change the design..

IF you are lucky enough to even get an email back from this publisher. You are quite optimistic, I'll give you that.

Quote:If I get funding, then go to a distributor...
Probably my best option, but difficult to find someone that enthusiastic about it. I'd spend all the money wisely.

:) (I don't even want to begin to comment on your investor approach).

Publishers are not interested in funding any project people bring along. Nowadays games take 2-5 M USD on average to complete. Unless you have a stunning playable demo (comparable to- or better than games in development now) why would they be interested in providing you with millions?

And do you have your Xbox and PS2 team ready? If it's only PC, there's even less chance of anyone picking this up. On top of that, Microsoft and/or Sony won't even give you permission unless you already have publisher backing...

Mark

[Edited by - Mark Tanner on October 19, 2004 12:10:29 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement