DirectX or OpenGL

Started by
5 comments, last by Oluseyi 19 years, 6 months ago
Hey all, i have spent some time getting do with c++ and was wondering if it was better to use OpenGL or DirectX. Most of the big games seem to be using OpenGL more and more so is it better than DirectX. Thanks for any help, -Dave
Advertisement
It's a matter of preference, some people advocate OpenGL because they say its easier to learn. Some advocate DirectX because they say its more actively updated. Both are used fairly equally in games you see. Both have the same capabilites. Try out both and pick which interface you think is easier to use. You'll probably end up knowing both in the long run.
I recommend opengl + sdl, because it's multiplatform, and has all the features of directx.
Quote:Most of the big games seem to be using OpenGL more and more so is it better than DirectX.

Actually the trend seems to be going towards DX. Most new recent games use DX, a notable exception being Doom 3 (which uses OpenGL).

Anyway Squirell pretty much summed how to choose between them, look at both and choose which you prefer.
DirectX is a multi-API SDK, it has more features than only Direct3D. The most used ones are of course Direct3D and DirectInput, which can be replaced by SDL and OpenGL, if you prefer those.
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
I recommend opengl + sdl, because it's multiplatform, and has all the features of directx.

Since when is that?
As Pipo pointed out, DirectX is much more than just D3D and DI.

While one advantage of OpenGL might be its immediate mode, which makes it easy for the beginner to get started you will have to provide your own math functions and classes for example.
While D3D might seem a little confusing and counter-intuitive at first, differences will vanish for intermediate and advanced areas.

There are innumerable threads on this topic. There is an article on this topic. The curious thing is that there is absolutely no consensus on this topic.

The site FAQ proscribes "vs threads", such as Direct3D/DirectX vs OpenGL. Ergo, Thread Closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement