Do I need to load the OpenAL SDK to play a sound

Started by
4 comments, last by hh10k 19 years, 6 months ago
I am just starting to use the OpenAL Library, I loaded the SDK onto the computer I code on. I then moved the program to a computer that did not have the SDK installed and it would not play any sounds. The program ran normal but not a peep from the sound card. If I were to give a program that uses OpenAL to a friend would they also have o have the SDK installed?
Advertisement
I've never used OpenAL but I guess that there'd be some kind of end-user redistributable that'd have to be installed on the computers of whoever uses your app (I think it may be the thing available on this page). Though I would've thought it'd give some sort of error message if the needed OpenAL stuff wasn't on the computer. So try installing that thing linked to above on the computer and also see if there's some sort of incompatability with OpenAL and that computers sound card (which I don't think is particularly likely).
thats funny i have that Dll in the directory of the app, I would think it would look there.
just to let you know, OpenAl has a runtime installer that needs to be installed for it to work. after the installer was run everything works fine.
Some sound card and motherboard drivers include OpenAL support so it isn't always necessary to use the runtime installer. For example, nVidia nForce drivers include OpenAL support.

See the OpenAL Platforms page.
You need OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll in your app directory if you don't want to use the Creative installer. OpenAL32.dll is a router DLL that picks the best implementation available, but falls back to wrap_oal.dll when no other can be found.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement