graphics card !!

Started by
5 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 19 years, 6 months ago
hello all, am looking to buy a graphics card that supports latest OpenGL extensions until 1.5 and it would be nice if the same could support Shader examples; I would be eventually start learning shaders soon. my price range is around 100 - 125$. i was looking @ ATI 9200 SE & PRO. I would need your suggestions on buying a good one on this range which could solve my purpose too. thanks, boyd
Advertisement
dont get a 9200,
u need at least a 9500 for shader support,
if u want to go the nvidia direction then a gffx will be ok,
the cheapest u can get is a gffx5200 which basically does all a gffx5950 does (just at a slower speed)
my bad, i was looking @ 9600 SE or PRO.

~boyd
i recommend the radeon 9600 pro or geforce 5750 (pricegrabber.com)
both exceptional cards.
when you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
how abt. Nvidia's support for GL extensions; would be different extensions performing the same functionality ?

Also, whatz the basic Nvidia XFX card that supports extensions upto 1.5 or opengl 2.0. I am not sure whether I would be able to compile GLSL programs using NVidia card - when I see the specs. of the cards, it says CINE FX engine....what does that mean ?

does that got to do anything with HLSL or Cg ?

~ boyd
CineFX is one of nVidia's naming schemes for a subsystem within the GPU. It doesn't have a direct relationship to what it supports (i.e. CineFX doesn't necessarily mean it will support SM 2.0 or SM 3.0, etc) but sometimes given the revision you can figure out what chip families with it will support and what they won't.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
the 9600 or GFFX range are going to probably be the cheapest card which will support the majority of the OpenGL2.0 spec at teh cheapest price.

Personaly, out of the two, i'd probably swing for a 9600 based card, it will be faster in general for most things when compared to GFFX card of the same price.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement