Sign in to follow this  
AntiGuy

First completed game demo

AntiGuy    267
Well I finally finished my game demo. I'm not really thrilled with the results but it's only the first go (Not like I'm selling it or anything). Anyway, to those who would do me the honor of trying it, do you think it's enough to get me some sort of job at a company? I know I have the talent, but I don't think this shows it. It's hard to dazzle when you're not focusing on one thing at a time! Anyway here's the address. www.Freewebs.com/antiguyx/index.htm One last note, my computer has a 1.7ghz pentium chip and I have 384 MB and it moves perfect.I tested 256 MB on a AMD Processor and it was a bit sluggish. Anyway, that's all! Everything else is right on that one post.

downloading at 1.1k/s .... [sad]...

i dont think a simple demo will get you a job or anything, though. what kind of job do you want to get exactly ? engine programming ? 3d graphics, networking, AI ? everything is specialized these days from what i hear.

thedevdan    210
Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
very good? you must have a better connection to this site then me.. still only at 19%, going 1.0k/s =)

Mine DLed in like 20 seconds. Maybe I ate all of his bandwidth allowance?

ok, found the "fast" download..

wow, that is a very impressive demo... is this original art for the game? did you make it yourself? either way, its very good art, you have an awesome artist...

you have to tell me, how did you make that rain? its awesome.

Talonius    643
I noticed his fast mirror is on Angelfire. Their download cap might hit, so I mirrored it on my web site:

http://www.schkerke.com/files/gamedev/antiguy/felixfox.zip

AntiGuy: Feel free to list me on your site, if you'd like. If you update the files just give me a PM and I can update it. If, on the other hand, you want me to take it down, just let me know.

Nirolo    122
"This application has failed to start because MSVCR72.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this."

I'll wager a guess and forgive me if i'm wrong. Is this a debug .exe?

Talonius    643
Wow, very nice! One problem I found: I beat up the Red Wolf but I killed him off screen. I had no Watch to give back to the Lighter guy.

Anyway, excellent demo! I'll be damned proud if my first game turns out anywhere as nice as this one.

As for the MSVCR72.DLL problem: you need the MSVCRT7 runtime DLL. The file above isn't really a full setup so it doesn't include all the dependencies. You can do a search for MSAVCR71.DLL and find many packages with it. (I don't have a MSVCR72.DLL on my system, but the game runs fine.)

Rhaal    754
This library file should be distributed with your application when using the C run-time libraries with VS.NET. MSVCR72, though? I've seen MSVCR70 and MSVCR71. Are you using the VS.NET 2005 Express Beta?

This is no longer a system file, so you should distribute it with all your programs that need it.

INVERSED    172
Hmm... seems to be freezing on me, unless I just don't get the controls. I walk up to the guy in the tree and he says something, and then nothing happens. So then I pressed enter, and the game froze, but sound was still going, so maybe it was just loading or something... A readme.txt would be nice, and also.

btw, I'm running Win XP Pro, AMD XP 2100, ATI 9500 Pro, and 512 MB ram.

Nirolo    122
Quote:

Hmm... seems to be freezing on me, unless I just don't get the controls. I walk up to the guy in the tree and he says something, and then nothing happens. So then I pressed enter, and the game froze, but sound was still going, so maybe it was just loading or something... A readme.txt would be nice, and also.

btw, I'm running Win XP Pro, AMD XP 2100, ATI 9500 Pro, and 512 MB ram

I have the same problem to the word.

Win XP Home, NVidia Geforce 5750 512 RAM

overflowed_    194
Nice game, but I found it a little confusing walking through the levels. You go up in one area and come out on the left side of another....threw me off for a while. A map would definately come in handy, or even area names, since they all look the same.

Nonetheless, a very nice demo. Keep up the good work.

AntiGuy    267
Thanks for the feedback! Feel free to do whatever you wish with the demo. As for the art, (and everything else in this game), I made it myself from tip to toe. For the rain, I simply used the same image just in different locations. I would've gave the game a more professional feel, (Like a map) but at one point I was struggling trying to figure how to program walking down a path (I think graveyardfilla knows about that. Anyway, thanks again and now I'll be figuring out what to do next [grin].

Last Note: I forgot to mention that S+D does the special move. Guess the second bar looked pretty useless huh?

overflowed_    194
Since you seem to be doing this to be more employable, I would definately finish the game and make it as professional as possible. Code snippets and demos are all well and good, but finished games show you have the ability to start and finish a project, which is definatelly appealing to a company.

AntiGuy    267
Quote:
Original post by overflowed_
Since you seem to be doing this to be more employable, I would definately finish the game and make it as professional as possible. Code snippets and demos are all well and good, but finished games show you have the ability to start and finish a project, which is definatelly appealing to a company.

Finish it? That would most definitely take a while. I'm only one person! By the way, I'm aiming to be a designer/artist not a programmer. That's why I'm using SDL [grin].

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Nirolo
"This application has failed to start because MSVCR72.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this."

Same here

-FireNet

Toolmaker    967
I had a completely different complete. On my computer all the sprites has a large white bounding box around them. These were the fox, the wolves, and the thingy at the start of the forest.

Also, in my point of the view, the conversations are too slow. I don't know if my computer is just plain slow or the delays are too long. It would be nice if you showed the FPS and added a key to speed up the conversations.

Very well made though.

Toolmaker