Basics of 3D programming

Started by
8 comments, last by strandberg 23 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''m trying to learn 3d programming.. But all articles I can find are really advanced and uses c++ or asm code.. So, I''m woundering if someone know where I can learn about 3d basics like. Matrixes, Rotating points (XYZ) How to display 3d on a 2d screen. Cheers, Dan
Cheers, Dan
Advertisement
RIght here on this site you can find all of that. Its under the programming section.

Snyper
=============================Where's the 'any' key?=============================
This site 3D Graphics Programming has good anwers for those questions

To display a 3d point on a 2d screen you simply divide the x and y by the z.
screenx=x/z*scale
screeny=y/z*scale
The scale can be any number you want, what ever looks good.
There are several other ways to do it but I think this is the simplest way.

For rotating points you need to study up on matricies! The matrix section in the site i mentioned above should have all you need to get you started.

If you want some source code I can get some to you in either Visual Basic or C++.

What programming languages do you know? What are you using? I use C++ most of the time and that seems to be what most everyone else is using. So i recommend you at least take a look at it and learn some of the basics.

Hope i helped.
Well, I can recommend a couple good books:

Advanced 3D Game Programming using DirectX 7.0
ttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556227213/o/qid=971069020/sr=8-1/ref=aps_sr_b_1_3/102-2326145-0131360

Chapter 3 covers the math behind games in a manner such that pretty much anyone could grasp the concepts. It also goes on to discuss topics such as visibility determination/hidden surface removal, scene-graphs, curves, a.i., inverse kinematics, networking, and more.

Real-Time Rendering
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568811012/qid=971069184/sr=1-1/102-2326145-0131360

RTR is a great supplimental book once you''ve gotten a decent hold of your core concepts.
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
Thanks!

I use delphi (I know some VB, but I don''t have a compiler for it).

Cheers,
Dan
Cheers, Dan
I have a specific question about matrices and vertices. For a cube, assuming you know all the vertices, since there are 8 of them how do you store them in a matrix? I don''t get it...
you store them in an array. usually you make a data structure with maricies and other vertex data stuff and just make an array.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
You can check http://www.flipcode.com
they are a series of articles called : ''3D geometry primers'', and another one about how to do a Portal Engine.

And of course numerous tutorials, news...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
quote:Original post by revolver

Well, I can recommend a couple good books:

Real-Time Rendering
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1568811012/qid=971069184/sr=1-1/102-2326145-0131360

RTR is a great supplimental book once you''ve gotten a decent hold of your core concepts.

i need a book that does not only cover the principles, and doesn''t just skip over the "why it is so" concerning mathematical topics.
do you think you can recommend this book?

thanks
rid
Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, by Foley and van Dam.. a great book, heavy in theory, on all things computer graphics, not just 3D...

------------------------
IUnknown *pUnkOuter

"Try the best you can
try the best you can
the best you can is good enough"
--Radiohead
------------------------IUnknown *pUnkOuter"Try the best you cantry the best you canthe best you can is good enough" --Radiohead

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement