Online Games

Started by
15 comments, last by bishop_pass 23 years, 6 months ago
To add onto my last message, the two cultures would/could be meant to hate each other, that is why people who don''t interact well should be placed in them, so they hate each other naturally, and realisticly .

Null and Void
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" --Homer Simpson
Advertisement
To continue with null*''s thoughts on AC...
I bought AC when it first came out (I had been playing UO since the beggining) I hated it. A few months ago, I decided to give it another try... I still hate it.

Why? Well, first off, the landscape is huge, which is a good thing, BUT... there''s nothing there. This huge continent has 2 to 3 thousand players in it and about 8 cities... between the cities is beren landscape. You can run for hours from Holtsburg to Cragstone and see noone else or nothing else, save the monsters that you end up running from or die at their hands.

Then there is the people. Much of the problem with these types of games is that once a few players reach high levels, they think they are elite or something... jeez! C''mon, wheres the community in that? Social interaction in an online game is not race based (as in RL) but level based... and that sucks.

Game balance is esentially non-existant and buying anything of use cost so much money that there is no way to make enough money to buy what you need. If you design a game, you need to make the economy of the game easy for new players entering 8-16 months after the start. The simplest way is to take object inflation into account when creating new characters. I know that this is hard to do because of the possible abuse of the system, but ... it needs to be done.

Some new games that I am looking for:
Horizions: This game looks like it''s going to rock!
and of course our own MPOW (yup, we''ve created a new acronym, Massive, Persistent On-Line World) Ages of Azzuria. No dedicated site yet, but stay tuned.

Dave "Dak Lozar"Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
oh, I thought MPOW was Malasian Prisoner of War.

shut up
CAN I GET A WOO WOO!

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Interesting comments.

I am happy to report that my concept is NOT about running around the countryside killing and looting. It is about interaction, cooperation, backstabbing, publicity and secrecy, competition, thinking and devious schemes.

I do not want to give away the concept, but I can tell you that it is a million miles away from the ideas of the games mentioned above.

There''s an MMORPG in development called majik3d. Their website used to be www.majik3d.org, but it doesn''t seem to be working for me now. They really had some nice ideas IMO.

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya" -- Nazrix

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I also used to play AC. It''s main flaw was the lack of secure trading. Actually, things were cheap to buy, and money was easy to get, the good stuff you had to find (killing olthoi or other monsters), or trade for. Since there wasn''t secure trading, you''ll get jipped very very often. Also, the map being so huge was a disadvantage as well cuz it took so long to travel. However, I did like it much more than many other games, like Diablo 2.

Although I myself don''t nearly have the skills to make a mmrpg, if I made one, it would be free but have ads.
Make all the classes equal, and have an OK Help File and FAQ before even releasing the Alpha. Also, in peristant state worlds, you need persistant rules. Make rules that go for everyone. If they feel bad, they''ll let you know.. stick to the rules. I quit Everquest because of their stupid patches and unbalanced classes. Make the classes unique and balanced. And unless you have a new Solaris computer with a $30,000 T1 connection, you should probably think about the multiplayer. Anything less that a T1 will get sh*t speed and you''ll be lagging when you are trying to get into your inventory screen.
(well, I exagerated, but you will need some money to get a good, satisfing online multiplayer game going). Personally, my computer would be at it''s knees trying to transfer 500 fight packets, 100 AI packets, etc, on my 400 MHZ computer''s 56K connection. Another note- don''t try to host your multiplayer files on any geocities account or anything- it won''t work. (BELIEVE PHIL ;-) )

I''m making my own online game, you can see my post above.. Help is wanted.. not that I need it ;-) HINT HINT
Online RPGs.. Almost like another life! Except for whenswitching back to real life, sometimes I forget there isn'ta profanity filter..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement