Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thicky

Newbie questions (please answer!)

thicky    122
Hello i''m making (atleast trying to make) a _realistic_ racing game and i have crossed into some problems... 1. What kind of landscape i should use? Polygon, Voxel or some else? What''s the best option for realism? Which looks best? Suggestions? 2. What kind of 3d format i should use for cars? .X, .3ds or something else? thanks for advance! if you see this, you''re too near

tcs    122
Hi,

first advice: The topic of your posting is fucking stupid ;-)

I never saw the point of voxel engines on cosumer computers, and I''ll probably never see it. Polygons are easier, faster and look better.

Maybe you could do the cars with md2 or u could use the OBJ file loader form my site, since your cars are mainly static.

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity

KlDzny    122
Ok tcs, how would you have done Delta Force and DF2? They use a voxel-based engine, and I think it would be hard to make a game such as that without voxels...
Also, you totally covered thick with petrol and put a match to him there...

"You can be in a minority of one but the truth is still the truth." - Gandhi

Snale    122
Voxels are hardly faster than polys. They could be faster than software rendered polys, but it depends quite much on the implementation and how nice you want it to look. And since there is hardware acceleration for polygons but not voxels there isn''t much point in going with voxels. When rampage is out, voxels might rock, but until then I would stick with polygons.

Snale
+--Java Game

LeeW    122
Until the industry inbraces voxels (in the way it did with polygons) then they are bound to be shite. The main reason polgon games are so fast now a days is that the technology is based around them, as opposed to voxels, which, to the mainstream, is quite a new technology

Lee

eng3d    91
Voxel a new technology???. Of course not.

For a thicky :
.x, .3ds or another is the same, because you must convert all to vertex format. In fact, i use a new ".x4" (c) format ;-) create by myself. I don''t create a new format, because it is nice!!, without, because it is useful for me.
You can download "3d exploration" a very nice program to convert from 3ds,obj,cob,x to another format. Why??. Because you want to made models with 3dstudio, truespace, and more, and you want to use in yours program.

-eng3d.softhome.net-