DirectX 7.0a

Started by
7 comments, last by SSJ_Trunks 23 years, 6 months ago
I just go directx 7.0a and i don''t know how to get into it. could someone tell me how to get into it.
Advertisement
Ummm... into it how?? For programming, in Windows Explorer, for tweaking, learning, what? If you want to get into it learning, get a book or read some online articles. If you want to get into it programming, just do this:
    LPDIRECTDRAW  lpdd;LPDIRECTDRAW7 lpdd7;DirectDrawCreate(NULL, &lpdd, NULL);// here''s where you get the DD object version 7lpdd->QueryInterface(IID_IDirectDraw7, (LPVOID *) &lpdd7);// you can now release the old objectlpdd->Release();// the lpdd7 object is now valid for use in operations such as:lpdd7->SetDisplayMode(1024, 768, 16, 0, 0);    

for more, consult the docs that came with the SDK. Hope this is what you were looking for...

==============================
\\// live long and prosper; \||/ die short and rot.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

could someone answer, how does Gaiiden''s version differ from just using DirectDrawCreateEx on the lpdd7 object?
I think DirectDrawCreateEx lets you use some advanced d3d features. pretty sure...
-Majix
DirectDrawCreateEx is easier and lets you use Direct3D7.

------------------------------
#pragma twice

sharewaregames.20m.com

Yeah, but for DirectDraw I just like to stick with DirectDrawCreate()

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

The object that implements DirectDraw 7 is different from the one that implements previous versions. DirectDrawCreate creates the old object,which you can then QI for any version (including 7.)

To create the newer object, use DirectDrawCreateEx. This object exposes the IDirect3D7 interface, which the other does not.
Damn straight. I forgot about that completely. I remeber seeing that when I was looking through the v7 SDK docs once, but I was so used to using QueryInterface() when DirectDraw was still in version 4 that it just never sunk in. Thanks for the wake-up, I guess I should actually start using it now....

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

double click on the folder "dx7sdk". Then double click on the folder "samples"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement