• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Telamon

Why am I so damn stupid?

This topic is 6495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

LOL. I''ve been teaching myself VC++ by writting a lil''SpaceWar proggy. The game is pure Win32, but I built a front end to allow the players to change different options using MFC. I had assumed I would be able to figure out how to send these selections to the game as a command line. HA! All the help files I can find on "command line" concern the VC compiler command line, not building and testing programs that accept a command line. So I have two questions that maybe someone can help me with: 1. How does one pass a command line to a debug build of a program (so that I can pass a command line, then stop execution at breakpoints to make sure my code is working right). I couldn''t figure it out. 2. How does one set up a program to accept a command line? I tried running my program in the "run" selection on the Start menu like this: "d:/C++ Stuff/Spacewar.exe \1 \2 \b" and like this "d:/C++ Stuff/Spacewar.exe -1 -2 -b" but all I got was "file not found" :-( 3. Parsing a command line is hard too, isn''t it? crap. Thanks for any input ----------------------------- Let be be finale of seem, seems to me.

Advertisement
I don''t know about picking up command-line parameters, but to send them you need to make sure that the parameters are outside the "''s, not inside.
Thus, it should be:
"d:\C++ Stuff\Spacewar.exe" -1 -2 -b
rather than
"d:\C++ Stuff\Spacewar.exe -1 -2 -b"

-Neophyte

- Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth. -

Well, I dont know why you're so stupid BUT:

int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,
HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
LPSTR lpCmdLine,
int nCmdShow)
{

The lpCmdLine is a pointer to a string containing all characters from the command line. This is in a standard win32 prog.

For MFC there is a member variable called m_lpCmdLine within the CWinApp class containing the same info as lpCmdLine.

As to parsing them just use a bunch of those C string manipulators or as you're using MFC those nifty CString functions.

Hope i helped...

Edited by - jumble on October 8, 2000 6:46:35 PM

Great! Those three comments told me exactly what I needed to make it work. Thanks a lot! Maybe I can finish tonight...

-----------------------------
Let be be finale of seem, seems to me.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!