Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

view frustum shite

This topic is 6279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Something that has been bugging me for a while now is how to alter the plane equations of the view frustum planes to reflect movements and rotation of the camera/viewer. Is it as simple as performing a matrix multiplication on the normal (A, B, C), or must i continue to wade through trig carnage in search of my answers? If someone could tell me how i should go about calculating the new eqn coefficients given the orginal coefficients, translation info, and rotation angles around the x and y axes, i would be most grateful (i''m just sick of thrashing it out myself ) thanks in advance ------------------------------------------------------ "You need a weapon. Look around you... can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?" - Guy Fleegman, Security Officer, NSEA Protector

Yes, you can just apply the transformation matrix to each of the normal vectors.

-Hotstone

Edit: I was thinking of rotation of the camera. I don't think you could do this really for translation. On a side note, in my engine I believe I transform all vertices, etc. into camera-space to clip (that is, I don't transform the camera).

Edited by - Hotstone on October 8, 2000 9:29:29 PM

I should have mentioned that i''m working with OpenGL, so i''m actually trying to perform culling, etc in world space (even though it makes more sense to do it once everything is in camera space)...

Thanks for the fast reply ... i should be able to sort it pretty quickly now... um, actually... should i be using the "view" matrix (which i can obtain from ogl), or it''s inverse?

------------------------------------------------------
"You need a weapon. Look around you... can you construct some sort of rudimentary lathe?"
- Guy Fleegman, Security Officer, NSEA Protector