OpenGL rasterization

Started by
1 comment, last by GameCat 19 years, 6 months ago
In all of my dabbling in OpenGL Ive only ever used the opengl commands for drawing lines, etc. Recently it has came to my attention that it is possible to manipulate individual pixels through rasterization and wonderful things like the bresenham algorithim. My only problem is Im find near 0 resources/tutorials/guides on rasterization. The section int he red book seems to be little help at all and even google is not turning up much. Anyone know of any good resources/tutorials/guides on rasterization in OpenGL? Im talking along the lines of calling openGL to draw individual pixels one at a time, or creating a pixmap in memory without calling OpenGL, and then putting the pixmap in the screen buffers with a single OpenGL call.
Advertisement
Most newer references don't cover rasterization, since most people let the hardware handle that these days.

However, Dave Eberly's Game Engine Design book has a section on rasterization and Bresenheim. And if you want to go old school, you could pick up Michael Abrash's Black Book. I think LaMothe's 'Tricks of the 3D...' book also builds a software rasterizer. So those are a couple of place you could start.
Plotting the actual pixels with OpenGL is as simple as calling glDrawPixles with the appropriate arguments. If you want a tutorial on rasterising triangles, try Chris Heckers texture mapping tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement