Ways of learning

Started by
25 comments, last by Ralphzehunter 19 years, 5 months ago
In case you wish to do that, here's the formula:

Tc = (5/9)*(Tf-32); Tc = temperature in degrees Celsius, Tf = temperature in degrees Fahrenheit
"Learn as though you would never be able to master it,
hold it as though you would be in fear of losing it" - Confucius
Advertisement
What you should do is learn a few things, maybe 4-6 and get really used to doing them, which can be anything. And then go and think about a simple app or game that you can make which will collapse everything together. Worked for me. Your overall project structure will improve as time goes on.
i agree that it sound pretty bad to see all those languages listed & hear you not being able to do the "sîmplest stuff" but it's where your problem lies stop switching languages pick one & only one & stick to it even if you hate it

it's just a choice ... would you rather speack english in a fluent maneer or would you rather speack chinese english german french japanese & spanish & only be able to say hello how are you in all of these? not only do you advance slower but you also learn less because you don't form your brain for programming (you just take the same very basic class that teach the same thing a lil bit diferently ) & the parts where you learn diferent stuff not only aren't helping you advance but are slowing you down (as when you try to program in a language you might get confused by rules of another) learning multiple languages is easier when you know one.... but that's when you know at least one WELL & have used it for a while

if you want some help you can contact me on icq as ranakor (194-662-921)
Quote:Original post by Charli
Ways of learning to program, right from the basics:

Well, I know the very basic stuff, about data structures, variables, ideal program structure, etc, in C++, VB, Pascal, Delphi, Python, PHP, and then some. I just can't put it together to actually make anything, at all. It seems to be some magic thing you're meant to pick up, not something that can be taught. People have said to try reading source code, problem is i can never seem to understand anyones source code. So, after two years or attempting to learn to program I'm still on the first chapter of most books. I've read hundreds of tutorials, which I can follow.. just I can't turn that knowledge into doing anything else, at all. Any advice? Any unusual ways of learning, or should I give up entirely - two years seems a long time to have done nothing :(

Charli!

I used to find myself in the same position ....

around 2 weeks ago I jumped up and said "I need to learn C++" and thats what I have been doing since. I bought the "C++ Primer" which this site recommends as a first book btu it ended up being a little too complex for me initially, so now I have for the C++ For Dummies eBook and have been learning the very basic's.

When I was reading the C++ Primer I found myself reading for an hour straight and learning loads of really cool stuff, but when I went to code it myself my head was just blank!

So I decided to start simple, I got the C++ For Dummies eBook and started with the simple stuff, read how to do something really pathetically simple, then code it and GET USED TO THE SYNTAX, then move onto the next thing.

While youre reading, try to make some really basic use of the stuff youre learning. For example, one fo the first things you need to know about object oriented programming is how to use objects, so think of a really simple object and try revolving your findings around that object. For example, I am sitting at my desk at work currently (yeah, I should be working) and I can see a telephone, so create a telephone ovject; even if that object does not initially have any functionality or even properties, it is something that you can always build upon and add functionality and in the extreme case even put to use in networking scenarios.
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend
Quote:Original post by aaroncox1234
when was the last time you wrote a farenheit to celcius converter? Or a program that prompts the user for two numbers and returns their sum?

Hmm.. I can do that, it would just take me a long time. I've done things like adding numbers together, getting a few numbers and listing them in ascending order, saying whether a year is a leap year or not.. but, thats it. 'a simple app or game that you can make which will collapse everything together.', thats the bit I can never do.

The furthest I ever got in anything was a text adventure in C++, although, as far as I got was reading stuff in from a file, but I couldn't then work out how to organize it into room objects or how to store if properly in a searchable manner.
I am a spoon!Spr0w!
Best advice is don't try to run before you can walk. If you are able to write simple code, but it takes a long time, then trying to write a text adventure is probably too big a jump.
Choose a language and stick with it, as lots of others have already said. It is better by far to be good in one language then below average in six!
If you've read through the first chapter of lots of books and no further, you need to keep reading :) No offense, but it sounds to me like you have an idea in your mind of what you want to achieve, and you read a little bit and then jump straight in to try and achieve your idea. You need to stick with the tutorial books and go right through - learn everything in there, even the stuff you don't *think* you need... You might just be surprised.

I guess what I'm trying to say really is persevere with it. The early stages of learning to program (which is where you're at by the sounds of it - two years is a long time, but if you never go further then that first chapter...), are very tough - trying to get your head around some of the concepts is difficult, and much of the subject matter and the examples are pretty dull. But you need to learn the language before you jump in and expect to be able to program a larger project.

Hope all this helps - good luck with it!
I completely understand how you feel, Charli. I've all but lost hope in my tile map editor. I realized it was turning into one big mess of crap code and that my skill level wasn't quite there yet. But I'm not worried about it. I'm making checkers instead. Checkers is more complex than anything else I've done, yet is simpler than a map editor. Plus with checkers there is already a specific set of rules to follow. Also, since I already know how to write it as a console game, I'm going to help myself with gtk+ by making it graphical.

I suggest you write either a classic arcade game or a simple board game. Something under 1000 lines of code, so it will be easy to organize and won't take too long to complete. I also suggest you stick with two languages and not just one. For instance, I am sticking with C++ and Perl. I spend a little bit of time with each one, both reading tutorials/books and actually writing silly code. I say this because personally I get bored if I try sticking to only one language. Everyone is different though and this might not work for you.
And you know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with copying code from a tutorial. As long as you understand the code you are copying. Eventually you will get to the point where you don't need a reference to remember what code to use. Afterall, it's concepts that are import, not the actual code involved. Learning a programming language is just memorization.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you feel stuck then you need to reevaluate your skill level. Understanding how a program should work, and then actually getting your hands dirty, are completely different. When I look at other people's code I go "oh yea!" but when I start trying to make something on my own more often than not I go "oh crap." It just takes time and dedication. And most importantly, you need to ask yourself if you enjoy doing it.
I think you may be setting your expectations too high... but at the same time, you're not letting yourself break away from the tutorials/books.

There are many ways to solving a problem. Use your ingenuity and the tools you're already familiar with to solve it. If you have absolutely no idea how to go about coding something, then set your standards lower.

Also, when you say you're still on the first chapter of most books, are you referring to laziness/procrastination, or you actually don't understand the material? I know from experience that being lazy about it and not getting down to business to learn the material can make you feel this way. I still suffer from the same problem today - it must be a disorder or something... lol.

It's probably a good idea to get a book that gives problems at the end of each chapter. This way you can get a collection of increasingly difficult problems to do.

Remember - you need to be creative.
Yes. I definetly agree... Do thinks you think that you CAN do. It's just like climbing a flight of stairs only after each step, the step gets higher...

Also, the read then hide the books then codes method of learning could work. :) I suggest that you do this... read then code what you read(example programs). While coding(copying.. ehem) the sample code, UNDERSTAND it, FAMILIARIZE yourself with it, and EXPERIMENT with it. It wouldn't hurt to change or add a few lines of code or manipulate the variables. Then you can hide the books and code again...

I'm not that much of a programmer. Heck! I haven't made a single game at all! But it works for me... I'm currently trying to learn C# and I'm at page 314 of the 1000+ page book that I have... HEHE!!!
Im in the same position, i do c++ i can make simple programs like hello world by memory and can do structure lops variables and all other stated, i dont know whee to go from here, how do i implement graphics to my work???

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement